Sign in to follow this  
RickSinGA

Now that I have to reinstall the OS!

From a previous thread it appears I have to reinstall everything, Oh man, no sleep for a week.I had someone else put this system together before this build and he set it up with 4 drives. All SATA drives.1. WD 160G for Win7 OS.2. WD 500G for Win Program files3. WD 160G for XP OS4. WD 500G for XP Program files.I have not used the XP set in over a year.So, if I have to reload from scratch, what configuration would you recommend and why?ThanksRick S.

I see no reason to run XP anymore. Also, fewer mechanical drives is better for noise. I install the OS and program files on the SSD. Then I relocate all my libraries (my pictures, my videos, my photos, my documents, etc) to the second partition of my mechanical drive. I install FSX on the first partition of the mechanical drive so that it's toward the outer/faster portion.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I see no reason to run XP anymore. Also, fewer mechanical drives is better for noise. I install the OS and program files on the SSD. Then I relocate all my libraries (my pictures, my videos, my photos, my documents, etc) to the second partition of my mechanical drive. I install FSX on the first partition of the mechanical drive so that it's toward the outer/faster portion.
I don't plan on reloading XP Corey. I think he thought I might do RAID at some point but I never saw the need, not sure it would make any difference now.He also said that I should keep my OS seperate from the programs, not sure why though.I only have SATA drives so would you use the same strategy and keep things seperate? FSX on it's own drive? Scenery etc on the same drive?ThanksRick S.

I've heard of people keeping the program files on a separate drive so they can remember what needs to be reinstalled in the event of an OS reinstall, but I'm not sure what other reason there would be. I keep everything FSX related on a single partition, even scenery. The only reason I keep my libraries on the same drive as FSX is because that stuff shouldn't be in use while I'm using FSX. If you put things on the same drive as FSX, be sure to put FSX on the first partition. That guarantees it's toward the outside of the platters.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I've heard of people keeping the program files on a separate drive so they can remember what needs to be reinstalled in the event of an OS reinstall, but I'm not sure what other reason there would be. I keep everything FSX related on a single partition, even scenery. The only reason I keep my libraries on the same drive as FSX is because that stuff shouldn't be in use while I'm using FSX. If you put things on the same drive as FSX, be sure to put FSX on the first partition. That guarantees it's toward the outside of the platters.
Being as how I have all of these drives, including another Seagate 1Tb SATA/6g drive for data, downloads etc for storage should I put FSX and related programs on a seperate drive?ThanksRick S.