Sign in to follow this  
pilliar117

Compileing BGL

Hi!I am trying to convert a FS9 scenery to FSX. I decompile the BGL, then used ModelConverterX to convert the MDL files to FSX format. Then i try to use BGLComp.exe to compile the XML and MDL files into a BGL I do this by dragging and dropping the XML over BGLComp.exe and supposedly the compiled BGL will appear in the folder with the XML, but this dosen't seem to be happening. Does anyone know why or perhaps you could list the steps to compiling a MDL and XML file to a BGL. Thanks!Edit: I tried removing the name section under the ModelData section in the XML and this seems to have allowed me to compile the BGL. But when I load up the BGL with the CONVERTED MDL in FSX, the model is not there except for a portion of the roof that is completely black in colour. None of the other BGLs that have the original UNCONVERTED FS9 MDL files are affected.

FSX and FS9 model definitions in XML are a bit different. With FS9 you would have to specify a guid with the <modeldata> tag but with FSX the guid is taken from the model file.eg. Here is a modeldata for fs9:

<ModelData sourceFile="C:\Documents and Settings\me\My Documents\FSX Development\Ants Aussie Apts 9 YBHM\FSDS Models\Windsock\YBHM_WindsockWhite0_tweaked.mdl" name="943A30FCC235184FBF971638F8064141" />

and here is one for FSX:

<ModelData sourceFile="C:\Program Files\Abacus\FSDS_V3.5\AAA8\Bundaberg\YBUD_Hangar4Hertz.MDL" />

Notice how I spell out the full path name for the model file (saves a lot of messing about) and how the FSX code doesn't have the name="GUID".This could cause problems with your scenery as the new GUIDs within the FSX models may not match the old GUIDs used in FS9.You seem to have found the solution while I was typing before.Your new problem: The model is there (otherwise you wouldn't have the black bit). The bits you can't see may not have a texture applied, or the texture doesn't exist, or you need to change the textures from .bmp to .dds. Basically, there is something wrong with your textures, either in the definition of them in the model or in their format. Without examining the files it is difficult to be more precise.

www.antsairplanes.com

Thanks! I think I found the problem. I checked your ModelData examples and noticed mine had the fileoffset=0 entry inside. I just needed to remove it and everything works fine after that! biggrin.gif