Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

How to Set-Up a Network?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to set up a network across two computers, both running Win 7 64. One is my desktop and it's "plugged-in" to my wireless router, the other is a laptop and connects wirelessly (though I can plug it in as well if need be). I want to be able to move files around from one computer to the other and that's about it.For bonus points: Does anyone know how fast I will be able to transfer files across the network from one computer to the other?Thanks!!!

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest jahman

Check both your PC's documentation for the NIC - Network Interface Chip speed (These days 1 GBit/Sec, with 100 MBit/Sec on older models and especially on home broadband gateways and routers). Speed will be the lowest speed in your connection chain, i.e. if both your PCs are 1 GBit/Sec but are connected via a 100 MBit/Sec brodge/router/gateway, then your network link speed will be 100 MBit/Sec.Your data transfer speed in Bytes/Sec will be 1/10th your raw speed in Bits/Sec, so get the size of the HDD or directory(ies) you want to transfer (Right-Click on the name and select "Properties"), then divide that size by your data rate in Bytes to get the number of seconds your data transfer will take. If your data rate is low and the amount of data is large, it could be worth your while to just remove the HDD from one PC and temporarily install it in the other PC. Alternatively, you could also get an external HDD (USB2, or even better, eSATA) and transfer your data via the external drive (which will then double-up as a backup!)Note that regardless of interface data rate, 7,200 RPM HDDs won't go beyond 100 MBytes/Sec (unless part of a RAID array.)Cheers,- jahman.