Sign in to follow this  
Chrisjh999

Dreaded Re-install of FS9

Having invested in the latest Norton Anti virus, I was annoyed to find that my Computer was attacked by some wierd viral infection. No idea what it was, too angry to find out at the time! Just re-installing all my FS Addons in Windows 7 only to find that the excellent PMDG and Level D 767 don't work. As I bought these in 2006, I think I cant find any purchase details. Apart from buying new licences is there any way around this, feel embarrased about writing to them to say I cant fidn the origianal emails.Is there any way to run FS9 without these addons? As FS9 wont run and CTD's?Thanks again! Best Regards,Chris

Having invested in the latest Norton Anti virus, I was annoyed to find that my Computer was attacked by some wierd viral infection. No idea what it was, too angry to find out at the time! Just re-installing all my FS Addons in Windows 7 only to find that the excellent PMDG and Level D 767 don't work. As I bought these in 2006, I think I cant find any purchase details. Apart from buying new licences is there any way around this, feel embarrased about writing to them to say I cant fidn the origianal emails.Is there any way to run FS9 without these addons? As FS9 wont run and CTD's?Thanks again! Best Regards,Chris
Hi Chris!You have my sympathies - I've been there and got the T-shirt as they say!!I wouldn't be embarrassed about losing your purchase details - it happens. If you purchased them online, then write to them with the e-mail address you used and any other information you have and, if they value customer support, then they should give you the passwords/installation keys or whatever you need to get them operational again. I am however assuming that the problem is that you have lost that information and not incompatability between these addons and windows 7 as you also mention CTDs?Having lost passwords/keys in the past, I now keep purchase details/emails in a special folder that I store on an external hard drive and because I still don't quite trust technology (!) I also write all the keys in a book and make backups of all my downloaded purchases on CDs.With regard to anti-virus, I gave up on Norton years ago (and also McAfee) and have been using AVG now for a few years as this was one of the ones recommended on some flightsim site. It seems quite good at it's job and doesn't interfere too much with the running of FS9 (unlike Norton).Kind regards,BillWindows XP Pro SP2; Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz CPU; Arctic Cool 7Pro; ASUS P5N-E-SLI Motherboard;4GB Corsair 800Mhz DDR2 RAM; 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800GTX Dual VGA Graphics card;2x 500GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive; 650W (2 x 12V) PSU; 2 x 1000GB + 1 x 150GB Western Digital External Hard Drive; CH Pro Yoke and PedalsAll helping to power 334GB of fs9!

Hi Chris!You have my sympathies - I've been there and got the T-shirt as they say!!I wouldn't be embarrassed about losing your purchase details - it happens. If you purchased them online, then write to them with the e-mail address you used and any other information you have and, if they value customer support, then they should give you the passwords/installation keys or whatever you need to get them operational again. I am however assuming that the problem is that you have lost that information and not incompatability between these addons and windows 7 as you also mention CTDs?Having lost passwords/keys in the past, I now keep purchase details/emails in a special folder that I store on an external hard drive and because I still don't quite trust technology (!) I also write all the keys in a book and make backups of all my downloaded purchases on CDs.With regard to anti-virus, I gave up on Norton years ago (and also McAfee) and have been using AVG now for a few years as this was one of the ones recommended on some flightsim site. It seems quite good at it's job and doesn't interfere too much with the running of FS9 (unlike Norton).Kind regards,BillWindows XP Pro SP2; Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz CPU; Arctic Cool 7Pro; ASUS P5N-E-SLI Motherboard;4GB Corsair 800Mhz DDR2 RAM; 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800GTX Dual VGA Graphics card;2x 500GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive; 650W (2 x 12V) PSU; 2 x 1000GB + 1 x 150GB Western Digital External Hard Drive; CH Pro Yoke and PedalsAll helping to power 334GB of fs9!
Chris - I can't add to the good advice Bill has already given you. Both companies are reputable and I'm sure they will help you out. Just one tip to make the "dreaded FS9 reinstall" on Win7 a good experience. Check the dedicated Win7 thread on AVSIM and remember, when installing everything, including FS9 itself, do not left click on "install." Right click and select "Install as administrator." With some programs/addons it won't matter - with others it can make a very significant difference in performance and stabilityGood luck mateIan