Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Can't Install FSX

So everything was going fine with my FSX, no CTDs ever, then I installed REX, it deleted my FSX.cfg, and everytime I went to load a flight I got a CTD. So instead of crying about it, I decided to completely wipe FSX and start over. So I made another partition of my HD, since I've heard it's better to FSX on it's own drive. Now I'm installing FSX, and everything is fine until I get to disk 2 (both disks are flawless). When i insert disk 2, the autoplay options pop up, so I just hit the "x" at the top right to close it, and then click "ok" on the "please isnert the FSX disc 2." The error I get after putting Disc 2 in the drive and clicking "ok" is this:0x80040702Description failed to load (crap i just lost it)anyway something about DLL and install something.Please help.Thanks.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

JeffYou used to be able to download the MS Windows Installer CleanUp Utility but it was withdrawn due to a clash with MS Office 2007. It would usually fix the problem you have. Here is a link (but do use it at your own risk): http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml.You could use "REVO" uninstaller to uninstall FSX (if you still can ie it is still listed in Programs) - this is the only program that I know that removes all the components of FSX and they have a 'free" version.You could make a folder called FSX on the desktop.Copy Disk 1 to the folderCopy Disk 2 to the FSX folder (don't overwrite anything)Run Setup.exe in the FSX folder.Activate etcRemove FSX FolderRegardsPeterH :(

JeffYou used to be able to download the MS Windows Installer CleanUp Utility but it was withdrawn due to a clash with MS Office 2007. It would usually fix the problem you have. Here is a link (but do use it at your own risk): http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml.You could use "REVO" uninstaller to uninstall FSX (if you still can ie it is still listed in Programs) - this is the only program that I know that removes all the components of FSX and they have a 'free" version.You could make a folder called FSX on the desktop.Copy Disk 1 to the folderCopy Disk 2 to the FSX folder (don't overwrite anything)Run Setup.exe in the FSX folder.Activate etcRemove FSX FolderRegardsPeterH :(
Thanks Peter.Revo worked well and allowed me to reinstall FSX. It's strange how much stuff was still left over, even as I deleted everything I could find, must have been hidden stuff everywhere. Even after REVO my new FSX install still managed to find an old scenery.cfg, because all of my scenery files were still listed, I really wonder where that was hiding. Thanks again.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD