Sign in to follow this  
meandme

Missing documentation?

Where is the documentation for the DspShow, DspALT, DspHDG, and DspSPD functions??And are there other functions that are not described within the "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf"??

Regards,

Allan Jensen

These functions are not from the FSUIPC libraries - they are part of LINDA's Lua framework. They are pretty simple and you can use them by analogy. Open any existing module and you will see how to use them.

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning

These functions are not from the FSUIPC libraries - they are part of LINDA's Lua framework. They are pretty simple and you can use them by analogy. Open any existing module and you will see how to use them.
Yes, they seem pretty simple but without documentation you are not really SURE you are doing things the right way - and if you are unlucky you end up with a lot of guessing and maybe time consuming bugs. For example, what does the third argument in DspShow() do, which is sometimes set to true? I tried to set it but didn't notice any difference...

Regards,

Allan Jensen

I'm going to write a Module Development Guide someday later... meanwhile just use them in a simplest way (and don't bother of a third parameter - it's obsolete).

Artem Crum, EASA PPL

I'm going to write a Module Development Guide someday later... meanwhile just use them in a simplest way (and don't bother of a third parameter - it's obsolete).
Ok. I dont think a "complete guide" is the most important - it sounds like its a big job to do - just a "language reference" that in a short and simple way describe functions, arguments, and returns. Most of the people who will make these scripts will probably already have a basic understanding of programming and be technical savvy anyway, and won't need all the "now click here, do this, click there babble". So that would also reduce your workload :)Anyway, thanks for the good work!Regards,Allan JensenNorway

Regards,

Allan Jensen

By the way, I would also like to suggest making a wiki for the project. That is the best way to organize information. It's easy to add and modify information, and multiple people can be given access to assist in keeping the informaiton up-to-date.(Forums are not good for that kind of information, it quickly becomes very difficult to find what you are looking for)

Regards,

Allan Jensen

Wiki is a good idea, but I've never used it and then need someone to install and administrate it in general. Do you want to be the one, Allan? :-)

Artem Crum, EASA PPL

I can suggest using either www.wikispaces.com or www.wiki-site.com which both are free and have a WYSIWYG editor. If you want help in setting it up I can do that. On a more ongoing basis it's limited how much time I have available but I can probably assist a little bit...Allan

Regards,

Allan Jensen

Allan, I don't like the idea of using public engine with ads all around (or pay money for ads-free environment). But I'm going to open a separate site for LINDA and it will be better to place Wiki there using some standalone engine for it. Do you know the good one?

Artem Crum, EASA PPL

Well, then you (or somebody) will have to maintain the scripts themselves - applying patches etc. You would avoid all that hassle by using one of these services. And at least wiki-site.com is using the Wikipedia engine - the same engine I would use in a system I set up myself - and which I believe is the best one...To me the adds are bearable compared that you dont have to maintain the system yourself...

Regards,

Allan Jensen

To me the adds are bearable compared that you dont have to maintain the system yourself...
Not a big problem with maintaining the server and wiki engine (I have some skills in that). The main problem for me is to maintain the content (fill and keep updated the texts base).

Artem Crum, EASA PPL

Not a big problem with maintaining the server and wiki engine (I have some skills in that).
Yeah if you want to do that then that is of course the best option.
The main problem for me is to maintain the content (fill and keep updated the texts base).
Well, if you just think of the wiki as the main place to post all information about LINDA then I dont think it would be that difficult. Instead of making PDFs and other websites etc, you just use the wiki for everything... The forum shold then just be used for communicating with people, not for storing information. But anyway, I could certainly help you setup, organize and maintain the wiki in the beginning...

Regards,

Allan Jensen

Well, if you just think of the wiki as the main place to post all information about LINDA then I dont think it would be that difficult. Instead of making PDFs and other websites etc, you just use the wiki for everything... The forum shold then just be used for communicating with people, not for storing information. But anyway, I could certainly help you setup, organize and maintain the wiki in the beginning...
Ok, thanks, I'll get in touch with you when site is ready.

Artem Crum, EASA PPL