Sign in to follow this  
xnomad

IRS alignment bug?

Hi,I think I have a bug with my PMDG 747. I've followed all the instructions I can find but they don't help. I've also tried reinstalling PMDG 747I'm running everything up to date and on a Windows 7 - 64 bit installation (FSX Gold).This is my IRS alignment procedure from a cold and dark start.Set all 3 IRS from Off to NAV.Enter my GPS position in the LMC with the appropriate LSK.Wait for IRS to align.Here's where the problem starts:Once the IRS have aligned my PFD is still is missing the Attitude Indicator (AI) and Vertical Speed Indicator (VSI). The "time to align" then starts going into negative numbers.The only way for me to get my AI and VSI back is to switch the IRS to 'ATT' whatever that is.However once my ADI and VSI are on in the PFD my azimuth/compass settings in the PFD and the NAV displays are wrong and they don't move.I can switch between NAV and ATT for the IRS but nothing fixes it.If I play around and restart everything then sometimes I can get most of it working but then the GPS POS in the LMC can't be set.Has anyone come across this before, or am I doing something wrong?

Hi,I think I have a bug with my PMDG 747. I've followed all the instructions I can find but they don't help. I've also tried reinstalling PMDG 747I'm running everything up to date and on a Windows 7 - 64 bit installation (FSX Gold).This is my IRS alignment procedure from a cold and dark start.Set all 3 IRS from Off to NAV.Enter my GPS position in the LMC with the appropriate LSK.Wait for IRS to align.Here's where the problem starts:Once the IRS have aligned my PFD is still is missing the Attitude Indicator (AI) and Vertical Speed Indicator (VSI). The "time to align" then starts going into negative numbers.The only way for me to get my AI and VSI back is to switch the IRS to 'ATT' whatever that is.However once my ADI and VSI are on in the PFD my azimuth/compass settings in the PFD and the NAV displays are wrong and they don't move.I can switch between NAV and ATT for the IRS but nothing fixes it.If I play around and restart everything then sometimes I can get most of it working but then the GPS POS in the LMC can't be set.Has anyone come across this before, or am I doing something wrong?
IIRC you need to input the GPS position twice... it has something to do with the first time isn't recognised or something? Anyway, after I input the values a first time, I hear a chime and a scratchpad message: INSERT IRS POSITION. Then I re-select the GPS position, and re-input the position in the IRS position thing, overtop the position already loaded. Not doing this also "hung" the IRS for me a few times, where the countdown would be wayyyyy past 0 and still no PFD indications. Hope this helps!Regards,Frank

IIRC you need to input the GPS position twice... it has something to do with the first time isn't recognised or something? Anyway, after I input the values a first time, I hear a chime and a scratchpad message: INSERT IRS POSITION. Then I re-select the GPS position, and re-input the position in the IRS position thing, overtop the position already loaded. Not doing this also "hung" the IRS for me a few times, where the countdown would be wayyyyy past 0 and still no PFD indications. Hope this helps!Regards,Frank
Hi yea gud point wait till u see the message in the fmc to imput ur weighpoint in

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi guys,Thanks, I think I may have it working now. What happens is that I get a message again saying INSERT IRS POSITION. However I can only delete the current one but not put a new one in. However, once I've deleted it my PFD comes good. I've only tried it once so far. Seems buggy to me though surely that can't be SOP?

Hi guys,Thanks, I think I may have it working now. What happens is that I get a message again saying INSERT IRS POSITION. However I can only delete the current one but not put a new one in. However, once I've deleted it my PFD comes good. I've only tried it once so far. Seems buggy to me though surely that can't be SOP?
Havnt flown the 747 in awhile but now since u said it reminds that it occurs to me as well it says it twice to insert the irs in but i dont delete the previous but simple just install over it again which works for me maybe its just one of those things dont know maybe we the only ones that have it but as long its works its fine

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It's been answered here but I'll go into more detail as to why:If, when you input the aircraft location, it dings and displays the "input the information" prompt again, it wants you to line-select the position and just insert it on top of the existing set position. The reason for this is that the aircraft's systems recognize the aircraft has been moved since they were last active. It's simply there to confirm that this is the case. To be honest, to place this in the human perspective, if I fell asleep in my bed and you woke me up on the living room couch, I'd be asking you to confirm where I was too...It's simply there to prompt you again for the position to make sure you're not telling the IRS that it's in the wrong spot, because when you shut it down, it was at spot A, and you're now telling it that it's at spot B. This is discussed in the tutorials, or in the manuals (likely both). I seem to recall it being in the beginning of one of the Type Rating Tutorials, because it starts out at a different location from one of the tutorials before it.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Scandinavian13,Yeah I was already aware of the requirement of having to put it in twice, and why, but the thing is with my system is that it doesn't let you enter it twice and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't prompt you to enter it again either.Only when I delete the position does the PFD start working correctly, but as I mentioned I can't put in the position again and it stays blank . It doesn't look like SOP it looks like a bug to me.

Bug would mean that it's present in all installations. Mine works fine, ergo not a bug. Perhaps an issue with your installation.

Kyle Rodgers