Sign in to follow this  
G550flyer

Stall speed performance

Once again, I think PMDG has broke the mold on this one. I love the way the aircraft handles. Matched with my PFC yoke, she has that real world feel. When I'm hand flying and using my track ir,it reminds me of my real world quarterly refresher sims. The systems model leaves me speechless. After flying it initially and reading some posts, I felt that the NGX performs as if it is a tad bit fast on approach and landing. I felt as though she had just a little much lift and idle thrust in the flare. After watching a youtube video of a landing at St Barths, based on the pitch I figured the guy should have stalled. So i decided to do some stall tests. I chose some random weights. In all I performed 5 stalls at 3000ft gear down flaps 30 standard day. RESULTS167K VREF=159 VS0=122 ACTUAL=VS0=114 EQUATES TO A VREF OF 148 11KTS DIFF163K VREF=157 VS0=120 ACTUAL=VS0=112 EQUATES TO A VREF OF 145 12KTS DIFF150K VREF=150 VS0=115 ACTUAL=VS0=108 EQUATES TO A VREF OF 140 10KTS DIFF130K VREF=141 VS0=108 ACTUAL=VS0=103 EQUATES TO A VREF OF 133 8KTS DIFF124K VREF=138 VS0=106 ACTUAL=VS0=100 EQUATES TO A VREF OF 130 8KTS DIFF Seems on average about 10kts difference. Now I know there are some limitations when it comes to flight sim. This was just an observation. I worked the VREF backwards to calc a stall speed and then figured It's performance VREF. Which reminds me of a time i did this in real world. There I was climbing through 18,000ft. I noticed our climb performance was poor, but was expected at max gross weight. Our initial level off was FL290 where we would start our step climb. It took for ever to get there. At one point we climbed at 400ft per minute. I had the engineer re-check the climb EPR and it was spot on. I chose to shed a couple of kts to get through the last thousand. The engineer passed me the cruise EPR, speed, 3 engine altitude and a time to climb. I set the cruise EPR and waited as the plane would magically accelerate closely to the given cruise speed. After a few moments of checking coast out and preparing for our oceanic clearance, I noticed the jet was barely increasing speed. The aircraft literally stopped accelerating. I passed back the speed and power setting and asked the engineer to work the charts backwards to calculate our performance weight. The engineer told me the jet was performing as if it was 10000 to 15000 pounds heavier. With that I had the co work clearance back to our origin. We at that point treated the jet as if it was that heavy. After landing we had a nice chat with the cargo load team and had them re-weigh the load. Just as we suspected, there were a few pallets that had incorrect weights labeled on them. They had these huge safes on them that someone had crammed full of anything they could. They were empty according to the load sheet. At that point i called good ole mom for a duty day extension and pressed on to Europe. I did notice that the warning and stall happened at the same time. This I believe is a limitation of FSX. In the real world the stall warning happens at about 80 to 85% of the stall depending on the aircraft. Having the FMC give a buffet warning was a nice touch.cool.png

Very interesting story. The G550 is an amazing jet!. I had a chance to ride in the back during a checkride recently. Really agile!

I love the G550. Honeywell's planeview and synthetic vision gives you so much SA it's unreal. The only thing missing is autoland, which is not really needed with EVS and syth vision. If I'm lucky, I will fly the 650 in a year or 2. I miss flying heavies, but I'm content with the Gulfstreams. If only PMDG could do a 550. I know Gulfstream has refused to support a flightsim endeavor. A very nice jet that has been over looked in fs world. http://www.gulfstrea...ncements/svpfd/

What heavies you been flying? But the G550 is surely a neat compensation after all... So you already got the SVPFD in your plane? That's sick to say the least! Looks a bit like the Dassault EZ flight decks... although I don't know if they have SV/EVS, maybe they do today. sig.gif

Haha, C-141 and DC-10, nice, and now G550. Great lineup. I'm over here in Europe and while I don't know if the US army had C-141s based here (they closed the base here just a very few years ago), but they certainly had C-17s and especially C-5s, even more of them in the earlier days. Gosh, those were ****** loud. You could certainly tell em apart from the other ordinary commercial traffic... from miles away, when you still couldn't see them for some. sig.gif

What part of Europe? The C-141s were retired a few years ago. The Air force replaced them with C-17s. Sad to see videos of them being chopped up and rolling on Their sides. They were just as loud on the inside as they were on the outside. On the DC-10, you could have a conversation with engines at T/O power. All checklist were done verbally with out interphone. It was tuff initially listening to the crew with one ear and listening to radios with your operator style headset. But now in the 550 it's back to hearing everything through headsets on both ears.

A very nice jet that has been over looked in fs world.
Agreed. I would pay 5 times "normal" price for a nice G550 modelled in FSX, but unfortunately chance is practically zero. Congrats on your upcoming G650 flying.

What part of Europe? The C-141s were retired a few years ago. The Air force replaced them with C-17s. Sad to see videos of them being chopped up and rolling on Their sides. They were just as loud on the inside as they were on the outside. On the DC-10, you could have a conversation with engines at T/O power. All checklist were done verbally with out interphone. It was tuff initially listening to the crew with one ear and listening to radios with your operator style headset. But now in the 550 it's back to hearing everything through headsets on both ears.
Hey, EDDF/FRA area (former EDAF/FRF for the USAF). I just checked, they flew into here until end '05. Crazy times. I had lived under short final approach for years. Whenever someone in town "believed" one of them came in "ten feet too low" people would start freaking out and the next day it was in the newspaper... LMAO.gifsig.gif