Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

SimSavvy Installation Question

Good day, all! I have a question to test everyone's collective brains today. I am quite well versed in FSX and fully understand how to install SimSavvy on my machine - I've got frequently flown states on my SSD drive, and non-frequently flown states on my traditional drives. One of the shortcomings of the "default" method for installing S.S. is that each state is broken out into its own scenery folder. This makes it challenging if you want to turn the photoreal OFF for a flight. As an example, with the recent release of the PMDG 737, I found that some of my flights were going to take me from daytime into nighttime. Given the known lack of night masking in photoreal, I wanted to revert back to the standard textures so I would have some vibrancy at night. This was a bit of a chore, having to click off many states along and adjacent to my route. Questions: Have any of you "combined" states into single scenery folders? Did you notice (or should I expect) any performance impact by having more BGL's in one scenery folder? Are there any specific concerns about file ordering and BGL area overlaps which might cause problems near state borders? I'd like to give the combining of states a shot, but I'm curious if others have experience with it before I do. Cheers,-Greg

Good day, all! I have a question to test everyone's collective brains today. I am quite well versed in FSX and fully understand how to install SimSavvy on my machine - I've got frequently flown states on my SSD drive, and non-frequently flown states on my traditional drives. One of the shortcomings of the "default" method for installing S.S. is that each state is broken out into its own scenery folder. This makes it challenging if you want to turn the photoreal OFF for a flight. As an example, with the recent release of the PMDG 737, I found that some of my flights were going to take me from daytime into nighttime. Given the known lack of night masking in photoreal, I wanted to revert back to the standard textures so I would have some vibrancy at night. This was a bit of a chore, having to click off many states along and adjacent to my route. Questions: Have any of you "combined" states into single scenery folders? Did you notice (or should I expect) any performance impact by having more BGL's in one scenery folder? Are there any specific concerns about file ordering and BGL area overlaps which might cause problems near state borders? I'd like to give the combining of states a shot, but I'm curious if others have experience with it before I do. Cheers,-Greg
I think it is just a matter of what you want to combine. In the end it is just a file (one big &@($* file) that you can click on of off in the scenery library. Just create a folder named Gregs_States and add as many of the SimSavvy state folders and you like - just keep in mind when you get more than you can count on one hand you need a lot of cruching power for FSX to handle them. I combined the lower half of MS and AL and the Panhandle of Fl and all of LA and the big file is still smaller than Texas. That is my home flying area. I tend to fly out of the New Orleans area across the MS sound to the military bases in the FL panhandle. Each of the files is a county and you just have to figure out which way Larry was moving on that day. An easy way is to just pick a few at random and load them in FSX then use F12 and zoom until you can match the shapes of the missing or accounted counties with a googled map of that state. Make a big pot of coffee and have at it. Good Luck. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .