Sign in to follow this  
paula

SLI and FSX and NVIDIA SURROUND

Hi I post it now in this forum, anywhere else i didnot get the right info according my questionso if you help a little would be welcomeI just bought gtx460 as a second card and would like to use the two identical cards in SLIdoes someone has a setting for fsx?I use the nvidia inspector and according to nick needham advice I use 8xS etc for smooth and shimmerfree pictures.also could someone explain to me if i have to do an install of nvidia surround?is this free software or do i have to order it?kind regardsdoeke

fsx sli don't work , no support for sli or crossfire. can't comment on the nvidia surround but it is something like ati's eyefinity.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I also replied to the thread that was closed in the FSX forums. Same as above really. nVidia surround should work fine, but SLI will serve no purpose other than supporting more monitors

I also replied to the thread that was closed in the FSX forums. Same as above really. nVidia surround should work fine, but SLI will serve no purpose other than supporting more monitors
yes but where can i get 2D vidia surround i need that for 3 monitors in full screen where one card is for 2 and one card for the third monitorall 3 together in one view can be realised by connecting the both identical cards and surround.

You don't have to get/buy surround mode as a separate thing, it's simply a configuration mode you can set when you have the required hardware.Of course your cards must be connected with an SLI cable first (please ignore the comments like "fsx sli don't work").Open the Nvidia control panel and set "Span displays with surround", and configure the screens and bezel management etc (seehttp://www.pcper.com...-and-Configurat for an example) Then you're good to go. Open FSX and you will see that you can now select a resolution like 5760x1200 or whatever your monitors support. The Nvidia site has all the info you need if you run into problems.

thats wonderfull, great helptomorrow my card will come and i will set it upb.t.w a lot of people talking about sli wont work or is not supportedwhat actually they referring to?

Basically FSX will only use one of the graphics processors, not both. Using both would normally mean better performance so there will be no increase in performance by having SLI, it'll only allow you to use more monitors

It's like assigning two hands to one task. and fsx does not use the second hand, but you can use the two cards for an extended display or putting up some navigation tools like fsmap , fs navigator on the screens.

thank you I do now understand all comments except the tolip2 one.Did you have other expirience TOLIP2 with SLI for FSX? or was your comment ment(dont bother SLI comments) just to let me know montoren with surround does work.

thank you I do now understand all comments except the tolip2 one.Did you have other expirience TOLIP2 with SLI for FSX? or was your comment ment(dont bother SLI comments) just to let me know montoren with surround does work.
Don't understand what you have written . TOLIP2 / montoren ? You can use SLI in FSX for extended display's that means you would be able to connect more than one LCD/CRT to the nvidia cards.

When people say that SLI is "not supported" or "doesn't work" in FSX they usually mean that FSX doesn't gain any performance boost from it.Since FSX is an old piece of software this is basically true - you can not just put a bunch of extra graphics cards in your machine and expect your FPS to increase. To use Nvidia surround mode, SLI is a however a requirement. The good thing is that in this scenario it doesn't matter that FSX doesn't have any SLI support since the surround mode is handled by the operating system, not the application (FSX). So when using Nvidia surround mode, FSX does indeed benefit from SLI.

thank you all for the explonations.usely i had matrox 1280x1024now i can connect directly to the screens without matrox so i will have my screens now with 1920x1200 picture.I learned from someone else that this means an increase of resolutions or pixels and therefor I should suffer with lower framerates.I hope with what you mentioned to me that a little performance increase due to the SLI, compensate the lower fps.

thank you all for the explonations.usely i had matrox 1280x1024now i can connect directly to the screens without matrox so i will have my screens now with 1920x1200 picture.I learned from someone else that this means an increase of resolutions or pixels and therefor I should suffer withlower framerates.I hope with what you mentioned to me that a little performance increase due to the SLI, compensate the lower fps.
That shouldn't be a problem for the 460. It's a strong card

as soon as i have installed the second one in sli ,do i have to fill in the settings of SLI and what do I fill in.I use now nvidia inspector with 8xS but as read in another thread I will try the sparse grid as wellbut all of these or not part of the SLI which are placed above and lower than these settings I mentioned if you look at the nvidia inspector in fsxany idea?