Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morganbass

CTD's Fixed at last

Woohoo After a few weeks of troubles with my sim and ctd’s, a full reinstall of the FSX drive and still having ctd’s, success. I finally completed a full flight this morning in the PMDG 737ngx. EGFF to LFLB. Active Sky Evo, REX graphics and EFB all running and the flight conducted online. When I got across the channel I thought ok lets make some coffee, but I have to admit I was expecting to come upstairs and find it crashed to desktop, but no it was still flying along happily. So what was the problem. Well as far as I could see and by using event viewer after each ctd there were a number of appcrashes that needed rectifying. The main one being Microsoft C++ redistributable files there are a number of versions and unfortunately there seems to be no standardisation of use of these by developers. So you probably need to have them all from 2003 upto 201 version. Next was a module called util.dll, now this belongs to Norton Antivirus which comes as freebie with Windows 7 even if you don’t install it it has files embedded within the win7 kernel. Now the real thing is you can’t delete Norton by just using undelete or even control panel “remove a programme” function. I had to find a third party undeleter and use that. That certainly got rid of Norton and the util.dll file. Just as a boots and braces precaution I reinstalled dotnet 4.0 as that can get corrupted. So there you have it. I have only done one flight but it was a lot longer than the EGFF EGCC flight that was crashing so I think (fingers crossed) that I might have sorted it. If this helps others then all is good. Wycliffe p.s. one thing extra I will say and that is learn how to use event viewer, just type into the search line event viewer and it will start up. Also something that is hidden away from the normal user is a command called reliab which is another handy Microsoft tool.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

42%
    $10,670.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now