Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

Overclocking for a newbie

Hi again It will be the first time I will be overclocking my new PC which will come in 2 or 3 weeks maybe.The processor will be i7-2600k. There is a possibility that I get memory 1600MHz CL7 instead of 2133MHz CL9, which means I would need (or not!) to overclock ram memory as well. I was reading a lot of topics and websites about overclocking and I am really confused. What I got as a conclusion is that I should never touch BCLK. Things to touch are Vcore and the multiplier. Is that right? My questions are:1. which voltage to choose and what is the maximum allowed?2. which programs to monitor temperatures, voltages and performance of the computer? (prime95, cpu-z, coretemp? more?)3. what are the values I need to touch? So, I have the computer, I install windows 7 - 64 bits, and let´s say FSX with some addons just to test the computer at its maximum performance. After that I am ready to overclock processor and maybe memory as well. Correct? I have a lot of questions for sure,but better to ask them step by step. Tks. harpsi

Why is it so hard to take advices from websites? Most of them recommend the same thing.This one is generally taken as the best example:http://www.overclock...guide-p67a.htmlYou didn't say which motherboard, so alternatively:http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1578110These are a bit older guides, but same rules apply to Z68 chipset. To answer your questions though:1) as much as you are ready to risk, there is no "safe limit"2) yeah, those are good, include Linx and Realtemp on your list3) Vcore only usually

Why is it so hard to take advices from websites? Most of them recommend the same thing.
I know but I see in this forum that every person which asks has different settings, different ways to turn the problem arround and so on... And yes, my motherboard will be exactly Asus Z68 Pro. harpsi

I know but I see in this forum that every person which asks has different settings, different ways to turn the problem arround and so on...
And this is precisely why you have to read those tutorials. They teach you why things happen and then if you run into troubles, you know exactly where to look. And exactly for that reason, everyone has different settings and why using someone else's settings is usually going to get you nowhere.

And this is precisely why you have to read those tutorials. They teach you why things happen and then if you run into troubles, you know exactly where to look. And exactly for that reason, everyone has different settings and why using someone else's settings is usually going to get you nowhere.
I am reading a lot of information but it is still not enough. Anyway, I will come to this question after the pc comes. harpsi

I am reading a lot of information but it is still not enough. Anyway, I will come to this question after the pc comes. harpsi
Quite right. Without starting on your own, there is no way to ask questions.