Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zachlog

FMC/CDU Question

Using the FMC/CDU, I want to program a path where 1) I fly from my current position to a point on JFK/R-045 50 miles from JFK, 2) then I want to ride R-045 to JFK. For #1 I upselect custom waypoint "JFK045/050"...no problem here. How do I do # 2? Thanks,Zach

You cannot program the FMC to follow a radial specifically - you can however tell it to fly to from JKF045/50 to JFK (for the sake of your example, I'm assuming that JFK is a VOR, not just a place name here - you can program new FMC waypoints based on practically anything in it's database, not just VOR's of course). Practically speaking, thats the same thing, but technically the aircraft is not tracking the radial - it's just following the great circle track from one FMC waypoint to another. To actually track the radial, you'd need to set your active side nav radio to the correct frequency, get a valid signal, input the desired course to track in the MCP course window, and use VOR/LOC roll mode to then track the radial. Thats after flying to JFK045/50 using the FMC.

You can essentially do it like this - as you approach JFK045/50, do a direct JFK and set the INTC CRS at LSK 6R to 225 (course for the 045 radial inbound) - that should allow you to follow that radial to JFK in LNAV.

You can essentially do it like this - as you approach JFK045/50, do a direct JFK and set the INTC CRS at LSK 6R to 225 (course for the 045 radial inbound) - that should allow you to follow that radial to JFK in LNAV.
Ryan, Thanks ! This is what I could not remember. I had used this with the 400X. I am aware of the technique Simon suggested above but I wanted to do it through the FMC/CDU. Zach