Sign in to follow this  
todd92371

Grumman Goose on short dirt strips!

hello, I posted this over in the bush forum. But, will probably not get input over there because of use. I have been flying the fantastic Bill Lyon's Goose as of late. Awesome work and awesome plane. I have really been getting her into and out of some short dirt strips. Has anyone else noted this plane can (STOL) handle the bush (land landings) quite well? I still use her on the water. But, her land use is quite capable. todd

hello, I posted this over in the bush forum. But, will probably not get input over there because of use. I have been flying the fantastic Bill Lyon's Goose as of late. Awesome work and awesome plane. I have really been getting her into and out of some short dirt strips. Has anyone else noted this plane can (STOL) handle the bush (land landings) quite well? I still use her on the water. But, her land use is quite capable. todd
Have fun Todd - that's what FS is all about. In the real world, the Goose mostly used the gear for beaching - land on the water, lower the gear as it approached the sand, run it up onto the beach and unload/load then back into the water again. But it and it's baby brother the Widgeon could both perform quite well taking off on land. Makes sense if you think of it. It takes a lot of power to drag a hull through to the water to get up to planing speed. Have that power available without all that water to push through and it's going to be quite peppy....EnjoyIan

That's normal, the real Grumman G-21 Goose has excellent STOL capabilities. It is also a lot easier to take-off from a runway (even dirt ones) than water - kiwiflyer45 is right. The Goose could operate from almost anywhere - its a great, adaptable and sturdy plane! The Bill Lyon's Goose is a fantastic add-on. The best amphibian I've seen for FS! Sadly we actually lost this aircraft from the library in the AVSIM hack and couldn't get it re-uploaded. But she's still available elsewhere.