Sign in to follow this  
conura

Crash and stress damage

Hey all, I was just wondering (having watched a lot of air crash investigation lately....) if there is a way to see damage to an aircraft. For example, in DCS A-10 when you take damage it's evident and has an effect on the behavior of the aircraft and systems. You can lose part of a wing and the aircraft will behaviour (understandably) quite erratically. The same goes for the horizontal stabilizer, landing gear etc etc. I understand that as a combat simulator obviously the effects of damage are integral to the experience, however I was wondering if there is a way to see damage in this sim. For example, say you're on finals and both engines for whatever reason die, and for another (completely inexplicable reason) your landing gear fails to drop...In the sim the aircraft would generally say "aircraft over stressed" however no indication of anything else. I'd like to know, did my response to the emergency manage to save the passengers? What was the damage? As I understand it it's impossible to perform a gear up landing without a sim auto end? Is there any way it's possible to simulate these kind of worst case, damage unavoidable scenarios? Thanks :)

When I first got ASA/ASE I learned that when you fly the default Learjet aircraft directly into the wake turbulence of another aircraft the exterior paint changes to that of a damaged Learjet with dents and whatnot laid across the fuselage. I haven't seen this done with any other aircraft/software for FS9/FSX.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.