Sign in to follow this  
docbrown

Building a Home Cockpit

I recently got a flight yoke and pedals from a friend, which got me started into creating my own home cockpit for FS2004. I thought that this http://www.simportsusa.com/kingAir.htm looked amazing, although I would like it to look more like a single engine Cessna - I would like it to look like a C172 cockpit. So far I have been in the planning phase for the whole project. I was thinking of buying a 40" Flat Screen TV for my front window, and two 24" PC monitors for my side windows. I will also need a smaller screen above my yoke to display my gauges. In order to finish planning ahead, I need a few questions answered. Does anyone know...

• Can my screen combination be done? Can I have a flat screen TV, two monitors, and another smaller one plugged into one PC?
  • If not, what must be done to make this setup work? More computers?
  • What about software requirements to make this work with FS2004? Can the sim handle all this stuff?
  • Do I need a very powerful graphics card to do this?
  • Do you think I need a left-front and a right-front view angle as well, to make it look more real?

Your help would be appreciated. I am also open for suggestions, in order to make the home cockpit as immersive as possible. Thanks!

First let me say that there is a subforum for home cockpits builds, its located here http://forum.avsim.net/forum/110-home-cockpit-builders/ OK now onto your questions -Yes that screen set up can be done, I would not recommend all of the monitors on one PC but use a program called WideFS and use two or three pc's for what you are suggesting.-More computers and WideFS, there is also Triple Head to go, but this works in a three monitor set up.-Most computers can handle stock FS9 without any problems, you will of course need to balance the load over however many computers and some research will need to be done on software requirements and so on. *Note - there is not a one size fits all answer, and the search function of the avsim forums is a very helpful tool.-Graphics card will be decided on how good you want the sim to look, FS9 puts more stress on the CPU where as FSX puts more stress on the GPU.-All up to how you want to design your sim, personally I would go with Triple head to go and use three projectors but then again not every one has the space or budget to accomplish that. Tom

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

-Graphics card will be decided on how good you want the sim to look, FS9 puts more stress on the CPU where as FSX puts more stress on the GPU. Tom
That not correct! FSX puts a lot of stress to the CPU rather than the GPU.