Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

conchulio

Important notification concerning ATC Wind Lock

hello everyone, a few days ago i had very big problems concerning winds aloft beeing absolutely incorrect during my short haul flights in europe and america. Winds were always incorrect and most of the time in the opposite direction although the downloaded data from ASE was correct. the first conclusion was that the SimConnection was broken or damaged. Now i found the real answer. The problem is the Option: ATC Wind Lock. During short haul trips, this option, due to the fact that departe and destionation airport are so close, overwrites ALL wind aloft datas and inserts the winds of the departure airport all the way down to the arrival airport, where in the worst case it suddenly changes again to arrival airport weather. So, my suggestion is the following: Do NOT activate ATC Wind Lock option during short haul trips as all wind aloft datas will be overwritten with incorrect wind directions and speeds. I don´t know in how far wind alofts are influenced in long haul flights but all my problems were INSTANTLY solved by deactivating this option, even while flying! I saw with my very own eyes how within minutes the winds aloft became accurate again, as downloaded and presented in the flight plan page in ASE. best regards Dominik

Hello Dominik,Yes, this is described in the technical notes in the readme. When locking wind, it does just that, as described.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hello Dominik, Yes, this is described in the technical notes in the readme. When locking wind, it does just that, as described.
Hi Damian, well, i understood the effect of this Option differently. I thought this option helps you receiving the right winds for your arrival airpot by locking the winds in the closer proximity of your arrival airport, hence enabling you to plan in advance on which RWY you will eventually land. However i haven´t found a notification that it will simply overwrite ALL winds, including the winds aloft of every waypoint of the route you insert in the flightplan page within ASE.Since i thought this option will give me the advantage of predicting the right RWY, because it locks it at my arrival airport, i actived it without knowing that i will have to pay for this advantage in terms of losing all my winds aloft. This has lead me to wrong fuel predictions and ETEs because ASE tells me for example the average winds en route will be 234/56 but infact, because of the winds lock options it is 054/15 :-/ Furthermore, your great support team has searched my .cfg files for errors which simply did not exist :-P because of the wrong winds aloft which were created from the winds lock option.. Long story short, it might be an idea to state explicity that behaviour in the describtion of this option, because right now, it simply says "...it locks winds at arrival airport..." This might lead to wrong conclusions.However, that´s just an idea :-) RegardsDominik

Indeed, thank you for the suggestions here, and we are already reviewing how to make this more intuitive and avoid further confusion.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

42%
    $10,670.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now