Sign in to follow this  
leeflet

New scenery jetways don't align with aircraft door

First, I am an end user, not a designer (although I am considering dabbling). Here is my question. In FSX, I installed the wonderfully executed Alpha India Group AFCAD scenery for New Orleans airport (download aig_kmsy_new_orleans_armstrong_fsx_default.zip in the FSX -> AFCAD File Section). The aircraft that I typically use (the PMDG 737-NGX) has not changed. However, now the jetways miss the hatch and dock against the aircraft too far forward and at an angle (the best way to describe it is that once the jetways are fully deployed, I need to slew the aircraft forward a few feet and yaw the heading a few degrees counterclockwise in order to align it properly. I had always thought that the fully deployed jetway had interfaced at a specific spot on the aircraft fuselage based on parameters delineated in the aircraft.cfg file. However, seeing that this misalignment is scenery-specific, I am reluctant to modify the aircraft.cfg file. Is there an AFCAD-level fix for this? Can I edit the bgl?

Signature.jpg

I think it is possible that the jetway is not within the parameters to allow proper mating. Are you spawning your aircraft in the parking, or taxiing in? Test by spawning in the spot (ie, in the free flight menu select that parking spot). If it is not aligning when spawning, I'm guessing either the jetway is too far away or maybe the parking radius is too big. Try the default 738 or 321 in the spot first. If I'm right you can adjust either the gateway or the parking spot size/location in ADEX assuming you have the SDK installed. scott s..

Thanks, Scott - I went ahead and rebuilt a flight from scratch, selecting KMSY and Gate D5 for a completely fresh start. Same issue. Moved down to Gate D1 (a smaller gate.) The exact same jetway interface anomaly occurs there as well. I substituted the default 737 (vs my PMDG) and the Level-D - in both cases the jetway aligns just ahead of the front door in the same exact manner as the PMDG (I retracted and redeployed the jetway in all those cases). Moving/slewing the aircraft to align with the jetway, then retracting and redeploying the jetway results in the same deviations. Finally, to establish that this was indeed the scenery and not the airplane(s), I set my 737NGX at a totally different airport (KSEA), and the jetway interface was normal. So it definitely is something with the scenery. It's a strange problem, and I'm just climbing the learning curve with ADE (the program used to design the KMSY scenery). The fact that the jetway interfaces in the same relative position to the door in 3 different models makes me think that perhaps the entire airport reference is askew? Is that possible?

Signature.jpg

I think I figured it out. Turns out the parking radii for the gates was set to other than the standard default radius in the library object. Once I reset the parking radius, the mesh between jetway and cabin door is perfect! BUT - my buildings have disappeared and there remains just a field of jetways. No errors in compiling were given, so I now have to figure that out (hints are very welcome)....

Signature.jpg

BUT - my buildings have disappeared and there remains just a field of jetways. No errors in compiling were given, so I now have to figure that out (hints are very welcome)....
The ADEX files apparently include building models, so when you load the .bgl file into ADEX, change the parking and recompile, the models are lost because they are not available on the model list. They will appear as black squares in ADEX. You will need to bring the jetway problem to AIG's attention and see if they will issue a fix (or furnish you with the .mdl files).

Art

Thanks, Art - the scenery was freeware anyways, so I just switched to Glenn Johnson's FSX New Orleans scenery and added a few items (his FSX is nowhere near the masterpiece that his FS9 KMSY is). The parking and gates are actually more accurate than Alpha India, so for a very fledgling and not-so-committed scenery designer, it seems a better platform to modify.

Signature.jpg