Sign in to follow this  
777flyer101

AMD Bulldozer is such a waste

Yes, it's a new socket, but that was known long ago. Sometimes it's necessary, and AMD had been supporting AM3 for long enough.Many people with AM3 boards got AM3+ in preparation for BZ, which makes no sense to me considering AM3+ would have no further upgrades.Now we need Piledriver to step up even if it's on a new socket, cause as it is now, Bulldozer is a complete flop. This is very bad for us consumersHopefully the power consumption issue is a manufacturing process/Global Foundaries thing and not the architecture's fault, and they can hone their 32nm by Piledriver
On one hand I feel the FX is not a total failure even with bad IPC and being a new design , AMD did state that you need to throw heavy stuff at it to see the benefit. Now who has got that. The power consumption could be due to the 8 cores as it is 50% higher than the i7 which i presume is a quad. They are coming out with the new revised bulldozer chip's too. The FX-4170 should be a decent upgrade in that price range. But I think it's high time that AMD start stamp there foot down and say we are still in the game, wouldn't that be nice and hell what competition that would generate real fun.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Guest jahman

Hi, Dazz!

...they can hone their 32nm by Piledriver
Seems to me the only thing we need AMD for at this point is to keep the heat on Intel. "Honing 32 nm" when their competitor is honing 22 nm means they're a full generation behind in term of Intel's Tick-Tock, i.e. a full two years. At the rate silicon tech is advancing these days, might as well pack-up and go home. Glad I'm not a stockholder! Mind, I do wish AMD well, but I hope their CPU business doesn't siphon R&D funds from their GPU business. Or maybe after they bought ATI their GPU business siphoned excessive funds from their CPU business? Cheers, - jahman.

On one hand I feel the FX is not a total failure even with bad IPC and being a new design , AMD did state that you need to throw heavy stuff at it to see the benefit. Now who has got that. The power consumption could be due to the 8 cores as it is 50% higher than the i7 which i presume is a quad. They are coming out with the new revised bulldozer chip's too. The FX-4170 should be a decent upgrade in that price range. But I think it's high time that AMD start stamp there foot down and say we are still in the game, wouldn't that be nice and hell what competition that would generate real fun.
Bulldozer is not terrible right now for certain multithreaded applications, but it's a new architecture that is supposed to last a few years with a decent scalability. K10 has been around for 4 years now, and managed to bring 6 true cores.Now with a die shrink and 8 cores that share some resources the performance is not that great, the die size is huge and the power consumption is way too much to expect this thing to have a bright future. Can you imagine a 10 or 12 core processor as it stands? I'm worried about the future and scalability of this architecture
Hi, Dazz! Seems to me the only thing we need AMD for at this point is to keep the heat on Intel. "Honing 32 nm" when their competitor is honing 22 nm means they're a full generation behind in term of Intel's Tick-Tock, i.e. a full two years. At the rate silicon tech is advancing these days, might as well pack-up and go home. Glad I'm not a stockholder! Mind, I do wish AMD well, but I hope their CPU business doesn't siphon R&D funds from their GPU business. Or maybe after they bought ATI their GPU business siphoned excessive funds from their CPU business? Cheers, - jahman.
Very true. There's been rumours of AMD plans on dropping Global Foundaries for TSMCApparently most of the BZ delays were GB's fault and not AMD'sWhatever the reasons, it's not looking good for AMD right now

Bulldozer is not terrible right now for certain multithreaded applications, but it's a new architecture that is supposed to last a few years with a decent scalability. K10 has been around for 4 years now, and managed to bring 6 true cores.Now with a die shrink and 8 cores that share some resources the performance is not that great, the die size is huge and the power consumption is way too much to expect this thing to have a bright future. Can you imagine a 10 or 12 core processor as it stands? I'm worried about the future and scalability of this architecture
Yep I agree the scalability would worrying for the future processors. The heat has to be put on Intel. But one thing we need to see what power consumption happens when intel comes out with 8 cores.

What I have seen is that every new processor is a step forward for intel, I don't see that in the case of AMD, there Phenom II x4 980 BE is the fastest processor which was released ages ago, then they released APU, which was a step backward and now the bulldozer (from which I had many expectations), which is also not a very good performer for the price (that sounds awkward in the case of AMD, because they were know for cheap price)

Sorry to ruin the convo but Prakhar, that sig seems awfully a lot like Chocks's sig. Might just be me.

What I have seen is that every new processor is a step forward for intel, I don't see that in the case of AMD, there Phenom II x4 980 BE is the fastest processor which was released ages ago, then they released APU, which was a step backward and now the bulldozer (from which I had many expectations), which is also not a very good performer for the price (that sounds awkward in the case of AMD, because they were know for cheap price)
The APU for the notebook are not bad. Infact many had expectations from Bulldozer but it's early to say on a new design.
Sorry to ruin the convo but Prakhar, that sig seems awfully a lot like Chocks's sig. Might just be me.
His sig reminds of my 8085 assembly language days.

Yeah, I have a freaky memory and that just clicked. Seems like you made some improvements since you last 2600k system, massive improvements.