Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Need help to change order of CH game controllers in Win XP

I recently had to replace my primary hard drive and reinstall everything including my CH 568 Combatstick USB, CH Flight Yoke USB, and CH Rudder Pedals USB. Windows XP is now insisting that my CH USB Pro Pedals be listed first in the game controllers list in the XP Control Panel and my CH 568 Combatstick USB or my CH Flight Yoke USB second. This wasn't the case before having to replace my primary hard drive.This isn't a problem for Flight Simulator and Combat Flight Simulator 2 & 3 along with a few other sims I have (including Falcon 4.0 AP). However, other (older) sims like Rowan's Battle of Britian, Falcon 4.0 SP, B17 , European Air War, Jetfighter V, and all the IL-2 titles I have, insist on trying to use the CH USB Rudder Pedals for the flight controller because the CH Rudder Pedals are listed first in the game controller list in the Control Panel.As I said, before my previous boot hard drive went south on me, I was able to use either my Combatstick for DH Flight Yoke USB and my Pro Pedals US with all of the above sims (along with FS, CFS, and Falcon 4.0 AF). Only sims (such as CFS 1 and apparently, Falcon 4.0 which came out before there was support for rudder pedals) never did work with rudder pedals.I do seem to remember having this problem in the past (several years in the past) ehen I installed the now defunct primary hard drive and that I somehow managed to fix the problem. Unfortunately, it happened so long ago (3 or 4 years at least) that I don't remember how I managed to fix it! I do seem to recall that it was a stroke of sheer luck that I managed to stumble across the solution at the tme!I've tried several tricks I came across on the Internet, but none of them have worked so fax. A small utility I came across called "JoyID" is suppose to change controller IDs but I haven't had any success with it yet (perhaps I'm just not using it correctly). In any case, I'm hoping someone can help me correct this problem so I won't have to control the rudder via the keyboard (I really hate auto-coorindated flight) which is a real wet blanket on the "as real as it gets" concept all self respecting flight simmers strive for (G)!

Guest jahman

What problem are you having with JoyIDs?Cheers,- jahman.

Hi, Jahman!Well, the first time I tried using JoyID I dragged the Combatstick over the Pro Pedals (which is listed first) thereby moving the Combatstick into slot #1 and bumping the Pro Pedals into slot #2. When I clicked on the Game Controllers icon in the Windows Control Panel, however, it still listed the Pro Pedals first. I went back and tried JoyID again this time pulling down the File menu and clicking on "Save" (or Save as, I forget). Again I checked Control Panel, but the Pro Pedals still appear first in the list. What am I doing wrong?

Guest jahman

You're not supposed to drag! :Big Grin:1. Single-Click the joystick whose ID you want to change, then2. Single-Click the desired destination location.Cheers,- jahman.

Actually, that is what I did. I clicked on the Combatstick then clicked again on the Pro Pedals. They switched places on the JoyID list alright. However, when I called up the Windows control panel and clicked on the game controllers icon, it still shows the Pro Pedals listed first and the Combatstick second.

Guest jahman

Try running JoyIDs as Administrator. Verify JoyIDs works by closing and restarting JoyIDs to check the changes you made persist. Sorry I can't offer anything more specific. If it still doesn't work, I would suggest contacting the developer (email is in the JoyIDs zip). Cheers, - jahman.

Guest jahman

Try running JoyIDs as Administrator. Also I would check JoyIDs is running properly by running JoyIDs again after making the changes to make sure they persist. If it's still not working, find the developper's email in the JoyIDs zip package. Sorry I can't seem to offer anything more specific. Cheers, - jahman.

Hi Scott,In XP, I think if you click the "Advanced" tab on the game controllers applet, it will take you to a dialog that lets you select the "Controller to use for Older Games" or something like that. Essentially it just forces which stick will be seen as Joystick 1. You might give that a try.Best regards,- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com