Sign in to follow this  
moparrtse

contacting tower while on ground

I read that while taxing and when close to the end of runway for takeoff, ground will have you monitor tower or contact tower.My problem (if it's really a problem) is ground has me contact tower when I'm half way down the taxiway(at least 2,000 or so feet to go to the end). I wouldn't see this as a problem if I am able to just contact tower andthey acknowldge, but when I contact tower my pilot voice will tell tower that I'm ready for departure and I'm still halfway down the runway. Tower would respond with I'm number 2 (although I could not see another aircraft in front of me) and wait until I'm at the hold line before telling me to position and hold on the runway. I would think that if I'm halfway down the taxiway ground would tell me to monitor tower rather than contact tower. I would at least think in real life when you contact tower halfway down the taxiway you would say tower xxxxx with you on taxiway xx and tower would just acknowldge with and when I'm at the hold line I would then contact tower again and tell them I'm ready for departure. I don't know how the airlines at large airports do this, but when I was flying a cessna 172 out of my local airport I would contact tower and tell them I was ready for departure when at the hold line. Of course this is because we would have to stop at a runup spot and do a runup before takeoff.So my question is should ground be telling me to monitor tower when I'm halfway down the taxiway?If not then I would like to suggest that maybe in RC5 would change this the because it just doesn't seem realistic to be tell tower that I'm ready for departure while halfway down the taxiway. I would think some airlines are doing final checks at the hold line before they are ready for departure, if not done while taxing.Anyways I think it should be done like this while taxing:GROUND: xxxxx (callsign) contact tower on xxx.xxPILOT: contact tower on xxx.xx xxxxx (callsign)PILOT: tower xxxxx with you on xxTOWER: rogerWhen at the hold line:PILOT: tower xxxxx ready for departureTower: xxxxx position and holdWhile I'm on this subject, one thing I noticed is that contacting approach, center, ect.asks you to do something the pilot will respond with for example: xxxx (callsign) turn hdg xxx.The pilots response should be somthing like this: turn hdg xxx xxxx(callsign).The airlines callsign should be at the end. (Maybe not in all cases)Anways RC is a excellent product and I do enjoy it.Thanks allSorry forgot to mention, I did run the latest makerwys and scenery rebuild.Next flight I'll try and create a log file if needed.

Hi.I believe the point at which certain communications occur depend on your plane's proximity to other things that act as triggers. So if your taxiway is close to the runway, that will trigger the 'Contact tower...' message before you reach the hold-short line.I think you can just acknowledge until you are closer, usually '7' on the RC menu though I'm not at my own PC right now. Save the contact, '1' on the menu, until you are in a more suitable position (hold-short line). I'm pretty sure that should work.Also, just a thought, don't use auto reply... and do keep the comms for yourself until you are en route: your co-pilot will always acknowledge, retune and contact, all in one go.Regards,D

Thanks for the reply DaveI started doing it the way you suggest, I just didn't know if prolonging the contact with tower would screw up things with other communications.I'll just keep doing as suggested.I believe i don't have auto reply checked. Messages don't ackknowledge automatic, I have to acknowledge with 1 or 7 keyThanks again.

FYI:Many turbo-prop and jets do not do runups due to among other things throwing debris or the chance of ingesting it around, ground taxi congestion, engine wear, and fuel use. Those functions are performed during engine start, taxi, and the take-off roll before the V1 abort point. RC5 has an expedited take-off as well (at the moment) if conditions permit also known as a rolling take-off with no hold short or line-up and wait. It depends on the separation of incoming AI traffic and your aircraft class. You will not get it for a C172 :)As suggested just ack the ground instruction and don't contact them until you are configured for take-off after your runup at the runup point.

Yes exactly, I was referring to the cessna 172. Even the 172 can kick up small debri. Of course not as extreme as turbo props.I remmember while taxing to the runway and following a gulfstream, I made sure I was far enough away from him. At the hold line was another airplane waiting for departure so I slowed my airplane enough to keep from getting into his jetblast when he moved to the line. I really don't know, but what I meant is final checklist items, if not complete while taxing. Looking forward to RC5. I just started with RC4 last week and I was thinking why didn't get this long ago. I know this is off the subject, but it would be nice for the pilot or otto would say the call sign after ack. the controlllersI will take dave and your advice with ack the ground instructions.I hope i don't have to many lame questions in the future, since I'm new to RCHappy flying and stay safeBTW: Just want to be clear I'm a student pilot and not a seasoned pilot. I still have a lot to learn. Nothing like that first solo flight. Something we will never forget.

Good to see this question asked and answered! After I started using "It's your plane" (IYP) with RC, I've been wondering just the same thing :)IYP requires a magneto check during "before take off" checklist. As I don't have any real world experience with procedures, I was always wondering where and when to perform these tests (on a taxiway?, on the hold line?, on the runway?). Now I just stay on the ground frequency, until I have done all the items on the IYP's before takeoff checklist.

I trust IYP has customized pre-takeoff checks. You do not have magneto checks in jets or turbo-props. :)It depends on the airport type and policies and your aircraft type where and when your pre-takeoff checks occur. Some airports have dedicated off-taxiway run-up areas for reciprocating engine prop types. In small aircraft types you place your aircraft at an angle into the headwind if you do a run up. You then approach the hold short point and turn a bit downwind to assist in seeing if any aircraft are on final if visibility permits even on a towered field if possible.In FS you are the only pilot and unless you have a co-pilot dedicated to your aircraft to assist in the check list procedures (not like Otto's limitations) it is difficult to multitask and some of these procedures need to be drawn out spaced more apart.