Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Massive problems reinstalling UT2

The following was posted (over several posts) on Flight One's UT forum. I've re-edited it and posted it here in the hope that someone will be able be of help (not that Flight One's support people haven't tried, they just haven't come up with anything, so far, that has worked). Anyway, here goes (it's going to be a bit lengthy):1st PostI recently lost the primary hard drive on my system and had to replace it requiring a complete reinstall of Windows XP Pro and all my software, including FSX and UT2. I'm having problems reinstalling UT2.I've tried several times to reinstall my original UT2 version (1.04) along with the SP1, the hotfix for SP1 version 2.07 (needed as UT2 crashes after the SP1 is installed without it), along with hotfix1, 2 and 3 for UT2 itself. When I then attempt to run UT2 I get 2 error messages:1st: Program Error: Error loading FSX aircraft information. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.2nd: Program Error: Could not load file or assembly 'System Core , Version 3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e099' or one of its dependences. The system could not find the file specified.After a few seconds UT2 goes ahead and loads. The Update window states that 2 UT2 files and the flight schedule file are out of date. I installed the Winter 2010 schedule update (I hadn't check to see if any subsequent updates had been released) which apparently installed the SP2 for UT2. This did not fix the problem. I still got the error messages.I tried all this at least 3 times getting the same result each time so I uninstalled UT2 yet again and down loaded the current UT2 installer (for verion 2.09) from Flight1's website. When I tried to run it I got an error message stating that the ultimatetraffic2.exe file size was incorrect and that it needed to be in the same folder as the ultiimatetraffic2.000 file!I downloaded the current installer again, turning off my firewall and NAV software (as suggested by Flight1's support person on their UT forum) which I wasn't happy about doing, but it worked. I was able to install version 2.09 ok, but I still get the same error messages when I start UT2 up.What on earth is going on here? I didn't have any problems installing UT2 the first time? Is Windows XP missing something (I opted to turn off updates turned until I get all my software installed. Aside from a few addon scenery files, UT2 is literally the last item).Second Post (here is where things get lengthy!):When I ran UT2 after installing v2.09 I got the same two error messages during startup I got when I attempted to reinstall my original version of UT2. What's worse is that I also get both errors when I attempt to use various items within UT2.When I try to select/unselect items on the AI Labels page I get error number 2 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message". If I try to save the changes I get an "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application" error.I get error #2 when I click on "aircraft repaints" and when I enter something in the "search for...box on the electronic statusboard page and then click on "view". In most cases, I can click on "continue" to clear the error message, but not in this case. I have to click on "quit" and then restart UT2.In the instances where I get the "Unhandled exception" error and click on details here is what I get:See the end of this message for details on invokingjust-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.************** Exception Text **************System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at ..() at ..(Object , EventArgs ) at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)************** Loaded Assemblies **************mscorlib Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll----------------------------------------UltimateTraffic2 Assembly Version: 2.9.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.9.0.0 CodeBase: file:///F:/FSX/Flight%20One%20Software/Ultimate%20Traffic%202/UltimateTraffic2.exe----------------------------------------System.Windows.Forms Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll----------------------------------------System Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll----------------------------------------System.Drawing Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll----------------------------------------Microsoft.VisualBasic Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll----------------------------------------System.Xml Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll----------------------------------------System.Runtime.Remoting Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll----------------------------------------System.Configuration Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll----------------------------------------System.Data.SQLite Assembly Version: 1.0.65.0 Win32 Version: 1.0.65.0 CodeBase: file:///F:/FSX/Flight%20One%20Software/Ultimate%20Traffic%202/System.Data.SQLite.DLL----------------------------------------System.Data Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll----------------------------------------System.Transactions Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll----------------------------------------{92b4f56c-8992-46b6-9774-f0799fa6ca8c} Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.9.0.0 CodeBase: file:///F:/FSX/Flight%20One%20Software/Ultimate%20Traffic%202/UltimateTraffic2.exe----------------------------------------System.EnterpriseServices Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll----------------------------------------************** JIT Debugging **************To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for thisapplication or computer (machine.config) must have thejitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.The application must also be compiled with debuggingenabled.For example:<configuration> <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /></configuration>When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exceptionwill be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computerrather than be handled by this dialog box.I get the "Unhandled exception" AND the "SystemCore" error messages when I click on Utilities/Flight Plans.I get the "Unhandled exception" error message only when I click on Utilities/Parking Codes.I get the "Unhandled exception" error message when I click on Traffic Options/Aircraft Repaints.I don't understand why I'm having any of these problems. I NEVER did with the previous, and 1st, UT2 install. With at least half of the features (that I know of at the moment) in UT2 not functioning properly, if at all, UT2 is pretty much useless!Third Post:Just ran FSX. When I started it up I got the expected "Do you trust" messages for UT2. Theses were followed by an unexpected message stating something about "smartassembly" was required for UT. Then when I loaded a B737-500 at KONT there were no UT2 AI aircraft in sight. The 737-500 was the only aircraft anywhere at KONT!The situation has now gone well beyond "totally unacceptable"! Unless all the problems I'm currently having with UT2 (which as I said I never had before!) can be resolved I'm going to have to uninstall UT2 permanently!In response to this, Flight One's tech support guy suggested I try a file called "Simconnect.msi" to repair FSX. Not only didn't fix FSX, I am still left with the problems with UT2 itself!Well, at this point I'm hoping that someone here (AVSIM's FSX forum) can come to my rescue! If not, then I guess I'll have little choice but to uninstall FSX and the few addons (including UT2 of course) that I've installed so far (actually I only have a handful of addons for FSX, FS2004 is still my preferred version of FS) and reinstall FSX and the addons from scratch. While I only dabble in FSX and have no plans to do more than that, still, I want FSX (and the few addons I have for it) to work properly (as they all did before I suffered the hard drive malfunction). Otherwise there'll be no chance whatsoever that I'll ever trade in FS2004 for FSX. (which will require a new system anyway). The FSX fans here could be my only hope!

Guest jahman

OK, you got UT2 SP2.For staerters, make sure you turn-on Windows Update so your MSVC and .NET Runtimes have the latest updates.Cheers,- jahman.

Yeah, that's on my list of things to do. I turned off automatic updates (actually, I've never had automatic uupdates turned on but used the "notify me but don't install" option) when I reinstalled Windows XP Pro so that Windows wouldn't install any updates released prior to SP3. In doing so I hoped to limit the updates that will have to be installed to those that have been released after SP3 came out.I decided to uninstall UT2 again (along with simConnect.msi since it fixed nothing). The "smartassembly" error message is gone again and the (FSX) AI aircraft are back. I'll turn on Windows updates then I'm going to try reinstalling my original version of UT2 then restore all my FSX files from a backup I did before replacing my bad primary hard drive (FSX and all the addons were installed on my secondary hard drive which I wiped clean when I installed the replacement primary HD). I was going to restore all my addon scenery and aircraft from this backup anyway. I figure a full restore from this backup is worth the risk. If successful, all I should have to do is install a schedule update containing the UT2 SP2 and hopefully I'll be good to go (knock on wood!)...If it doesn't work then its on to Plan B (uninstalling FSX Gold, all addons and redoing everything from scratch)...if UT2 still gives me problems then it'll be time to find a replacement for UT2 (or deep six FSX altogether)...

If you go to there forum they tell you step by step how to reinstall. What I had to do was redownload it from the flight1 web site and then it reinstalled ok. keith

As Keith and others have mentioned...The smartassembly errors have to do with not having the right system files installed. Register for the licensed forum if you have not already done so and search the topic in the forum area (I think there is actually a sticky on this very subject).

Jeff Smith
Sales / Product Support
Flight One Software
'Like' Us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter / My Blog - Being Reorganized

Jahman, you were right on. After installing all the available updates for Windows XP, I tried installing UT2 (2.09) again and it installed, and runs, properly (finally)! I'll know better than to put off running the automatic updates next time (which hopefully won't be for a good LONG time)!BTW, I did submit a post about all this (as I mentioned) to the Flight One UT2 forum (mentioning, as I did here, that I had turned off automatic updates when I reinstalled Widnows XP). The folks on the UT forum tried to help, offering a couple of suggestions (turning automatic updates for windows wasn't one of them). When the suggestions didn't pan out I decided to submit a post here in the hope of having better luck here. I did! Thanks, guys!

Guest jahman

Good to hear you got it sorted out. Happy simming!Cheers,- jahman.