Sign in to follow this  
Zommpazha

LIBG / Grottaglie airport

Here is some information from PMDG 747-400 LCF PDF:"Horizontal Stabilizers are shipped from Grottaglie, Italy (LIBG) to Charleston, SC(KCHS) via a refuelling stop at Prestwick, Scotland (EGPK) where final assemblyis also performed at Charleston before shipping onwards to Paine Field.""Note: Due to Grottaglie’s 5,610ft runway length, a fuel stop at Prestwick isnecessary."Ok, I understand that Dreamlifter is too heavy to take off if it takes that fuel which is needed to get from LIBG to EGPK but for example Navigraph's LIGB chart says 10,489ft/3200m for runway length. Also some other LIBG airport information says 10,489ft (http://www.acukwik.c....aspx?ICAO=LIBG). Flight simulator's own data says 5,610ft so which one is right FSX or Navigraph?

I could say a number of things, but I'll put it this way:In the argument between a real world source and a computer simulation, the real world normally wins.(So, the answer is Navigraph)

Kyle Rodgers

If it's Navigraph, then PMDG have made mistake about length of that runway. So irl LCF can fly from Grottaglie to Charleston without refueling at Prestwick..

It may have at some point been lengthened between the writing and now, but looking at the sat image, I don't see any evidence of it. Then again, I don't have a sat image measuring tool available here at work (Google Earth as an example). Judging by the aiming points, it doesn't seem like it's 10,000+ feet, but that's just me eyeballing it with no other references.

Kyle Rodgers

Navigraph chart is from 17 APR 2007 and I measured that runway using Google Earth and it's over 10,000ft / 3,000m. So Navigraph was right. =)