Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Using another program with FSET bmps

Hi,I've decided to download the whole world with FSET :)Because i'm lazy, i'm currently letting it do the compiling to bgls. At some stage i'm probably going to want to improve some of the images and add water masks etc.I'm keeping the bmp files in the 'work' folder on the grounds that they should be useful sometime.Questions:Am i correct in thnking that these have the geo-data embedded? Or are they just normal bmp files? Do i lose any data if i maniplate in photoshop and then resave?What program would i use to compile these to bgls?I'm guessing the pretty white and purple bmp with the name 'mask' in the title is a...mask. What's the role of this if i'm compling bgls.Any help appreciated!P.s. i'm impressed with the results to date. Am using 4m/pixel for the world, 1m/pixel for the area surrounding airports and some 0.5m/pixel areas Where good quality source data exists. I own most of the commercially available photosecenery and the results of the home-brew efforts are far better. CheersOz (photoscenery newbie)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Hello Rob,I don't use FS Earth Tiles, so cannot say the format of the source images, but I imagine they are simple bitmaps. If the extension is ".TIF", then they might be GeoTIFF files and contain geo-referencing data, but otherwise you should assume the contrary.In which case, you can certainly edit the image in any image editing program to your leisure.But, to answer your initial question, there are other possibilities for creating custom ground textures from the source images. First, you can use the Microsoft S.D.K. tools, and that is probably what FS Earth Tiles is doing anyway. Using the tools directly gives you greater control over the result, but only if you want it. For most projects, FS Earth Tiles is probably enough.Or, you can use SBuilderX if you know the coordinates of the image (the coordinates of each of the corners of the image.) Just load the image into SBuilderX, indicate the coordinates and compile into a bgl file. For more information, please see this tutorial:Make photo-real ground textures in Flight Simulator Xavailable in the Avsim library:http://library.avsim...xsd&DLID=140539Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.Best regards.Luis