Sign in to follow this  
Cfoley

747 8i configuration issues

I purchased the 747-400 8i add-on for the FSX 747-400X. I read the instructions about the Configuration Manager, but it will not save when I select the 747 8 aircraft. It states it has been saved but when I go into FSX, the jet is messed up just like it describes in the manual. I tried saving in my desktop and the Start/PMDG simulations, but still does not work. The manual does state that there have been issues with Windows 7 and suggested that updating the aircraft.cfg file and something about granting readers rights? Does anyone know how do that and locate these cfg files?Cfoley

Cray Foley

Hey Cray, For some reason, some applications don't play nice, even with UAC turned off. It's not really the application, but the stupid security of good ole Windows. I have all UAC off and several of Windows "Nanny" group policies disabled (and some custom one actually enabled). Despite all that, and setting securities as I've done in some cases nothing works and you'll still need to run the actual config tools as administrator. This is the case with several of them. To run as admin, right click the configuration utility shortcut and choose "Run as administrator". Change your settings and test. If that works (it should), then go the next step Right click it, choose properties. Go to the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program as an administrator". This is toward the bottom in the "Privilege level" section.If that doesn't work, let me know. If it still doesn't work (it should) then you may need to do the other steps you're talking about in changing the rightspermissions. That too can be a joke and not work if you installed it in the default "Program Files x86 folder.Hope that helps.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thanks for the help! It seems to work what you suggested. I ran it as administrator. I could not find the "properties" tab, but it did not seem to make a difference, it still worked. I checked the 747-8 in FSX and it came up okay. It took some time for me to decide to purchase this expansion because all the previous "add-ons" i purchased ended up being a real trial in getting to work right. You need to be an IT guy to troubleshoot and I am not computer savvy in trouble shooting these things.

Cray Foley

Glad to hear it, Cray.There may have been some confusion in doing the second part. You would right click the shortcut and choose "Properties" (this will be the last choice in the right click menu). Then once that properties window opens, you will have a "Compatibility" tab you can select.As for not being computer savvy, well the funny truth of it is, none of us our born computer savvy and gamerssimmers are normally the type of people that become that way over time, just because of things like this and the simple fact that we normally end up learning these things in order to get our programs working right. So write down what you know today and then do the same a year from now. I'm sure your computer knowledge will have tripled by then :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier