Sign in to follow this  
geobas

Bgls and associated textures

Hi all , Have been away from FSX for sometime and would appreciate it if someone could remind me how l used to do it .l have several object libraries and what l want to do is the following . Select a .bgl out of the noumerous bgls of the librarythat l don't use , and find which textures the selected bgl is using .If l am not mistaken l used to use LibraryCreatorX , but when l try it now and import a .bgl , it will not show theobjects in the preview window .Thanks for feeback

Model ConverterX can open an object library and export an html object report that will list the textures used.Jim

Thank you guysSorry , l meant Model ConverterX .How do you do it . What do you do to have the html object report that will list the textures used

Just import the library .bgl and click the far right button in the middle row.Jim

Just import the library .bgl and click the far right button in the middle row.Jim
Thank you very much Jim . Got it now .

One more thing Jim if l may ask .l imported a certain .bgl , got the objects report , chose the textures associated with the particular object l wanted .Made a folder , say myObjects , with scenery and texture subfolders , placed the textures associated in the texturefolder , and the .bgl selected in the scenery folder , placed myObjects in Addon Scenery and activated myObjectsin FSX , run Instant Scenery , clicked the .bgl in Library , and in Model are listed all the objects which of coursewere appearing as a black shape except my particular object which was fine ready for placement .Now my question is , how do l edit the list of objects , so only my selected object appears in Model of IS

You'd have to use MCX to dissasemble the .bgl and get the model you want out of it. Then with MCX again, assign it a new GUID, and then compile it back into an object library again just by itself with LibraryCreatorXML. I think MCX can also build a library but I've never used it for that. LibraryCreatorXML is drop-dead simple and effective so I always use it or just make my own .xml and compile it with bglcomp.Don't miss the step on assigning a new GUID, that's very important. Also, get rid of the .bgl you copied to myObjects, you now have duplicate GUIDs on your system and if the sim loads the .bgl with all the textures missing (the one from myObjects), the remaining models contained in the .bgl, possibly used in other sceneries, will appear without textures.Jim

Edited by Jim Robinson

Have been trying Jim but the problem is that MCX will not export/save the .mdl file .l even imported a single object .bgl file with same results . No export (even downloaded a fresh copy of MCX) . Dead end .

You may be running into an issue with updating the GUID. If you go into Options > Exporter Settings you'll find an option for "PreserveGUIDOnExport", set that to "False" and try it again.JimEDIT: you could also do "Wizards > Batch convert" and export the entire library with "Assign new GUID" in the Operators field. Then just delete the models you don't want and compile the remaining one into a library.EDIT again: I think MCX ties a GUID to the friendly name, I think if you change the friendly name and assign a new GUID MCX will export the model without "PreserveGUIDOnExport: False"

Edited by Jim Robinson

There is no option "PreserveGUIDOnExport" in Exporter settings . Am l using an outdated or bugged MCX ? Which one do you use and where can l download it from .Strange thing is that it will export all other 4 formats .X , .FLT , .3DS , .OBJ

Thank you Jim ,Problem solved . Can you imagine it was the decimal character .Although l have Windows in English l keep forgeting that the Region entry dictates it's format and (Greece) will give you a (,) instead of (.)Allis well now , thanks again for your help .

BTW there is also a program here, fslibscan, that will go through all your scenery and list out the files, GUIDs, and textures in csv files.scott s..