Sign in to follow this  
thefsxflyer

Advice on this computer build

It's tax season and my mother wants a new computer. I offered to build her a computer because I am nice like that ;) She wants something fast but not expensive. She also doesn't want cheap parts in terms of quality.CPU:Intel 2405SMOBO: ASUS P8H67-V or ASUS P8Z68-M ProPSU Seasonic SS-460FLRAMSome well know brand 4gb at 1333Storage: some small ssd (mega_shok.gif to 120gb)My main concerns are the power supply and the motherboard. I think she will be fine with the integrated graphics chip which is why I am looking at the H67 and Z68 chipset. She also might be getting my set of ram and I will get a new set of ram.I would love to hear your guys suggestions.

That seems fine. I'd stick with an SSD and purchase an OCZ 700W modular PSU.Go for the P8Z68-M Pro.

That seems fine. I'd stick with an SSD and purchase an OCZ 700W modular PSU.Go for the P8Z68-M Pro.
Dontcha think 700W is like WAY too much. Notice I didn't even post a gpu. I am going to be using the integrated graphics. The power supply I posted is fanless and modular and 80plus gold.

Yeah, that system is going to draw maybe 100W at full load

Bahaha, pretty much lol When I did the calculator it was resulting in about 250 watts which is probably a little over what it really does.

Unless I'm missing something? No integrated graphics are going to be sufficient for running a sim with any kind of complexity or reliability. Dont need a monster graphics card but! The CPU isnt made for gaming either. Am I missing something here? It would make a good business desktop or maybe running FLIGHT.

Unless I'm missing something? No integrated graphics are going to be sufficient for running a sim with any kind of complexity or reliability. Dont need a monster graphics card but! The CPU isnt made for gaming either. Am I missing something here? It would make a good business desktop or maybe running FLIGHT.
I am not building this system for me hehehe. Building it for my mother. She pretty much only surfs the web.

Bahaha, pretty much lol When I did the calculator it was resulting in about 250 watts which is probably a little over what it really does.
My 2600K at 4.8GHz at 100% with 9 120mm fans, a fan controller, 1 Vrap + 1 CG and an idle GTX480 draws 260W from the wall, that's some 230W from the PSU :smile:I bet if you test that 65W TDP CPU with a HDD and a couple of fans with a Kill'a'Watt it won't go much higher than 100WOverdoing the PSU wattage in a system like that at the expense of build quality can bite you in the back eventually, because PSU's work better at about 50% load.Good PSU's work fine at 10%, but not so good ones may be very inneficient at such low utilisation

Dontcha think 700W is like WAY too much. Notice I didn't even post a gpu. I am going to be using the integrated graphics. The power supply I posted is fanless and modular and 80plus gold.
Sorry guys - I didn't even see that there wasn't a GPU...I feel stupid... :unsure: Edited by benorg

My 2600K at 4.8GHz at 100% with 9 120mm fans, a fan controller, 1 Vrap + 1 CG and an idle GTX480 draws 260W from the wall, that's some 230W from the PSU :smile:I bet if you test that 65W TDP CPU with a HDD and a couple of fans with a Kill'a'Watt it won't go much higher than 100WOverdoing the PSU wattage in a system like that at the expense of build quality can bite you in the back eventually, because PSU's work better at about 50% load.Good PSU's work fine at 10%, but not so good ones may be very inneficient at such low utilisation
I may bump up the cpu just so I can find a psu. I am actually having trouble finding a wattage in the 200 to 300 range that doesn't look cheap.

The Seasonic you picked will work fine, but are you going to spend that much?I would pick something like thishttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151077