Sign in to follow this  
Wing

Possibly the Ultimate Keyboard for Flight Sim

In my quest for the ultimate keyboard I've done a lot of research and wound up ordering from WASD Keyboards (wasdkeyboards.com). I received my keyboard today and I have to say it's absolutely wonderful. I ordered the Cherry MX Blue switches, with the 40A rubber O-ring switch dampeners. I also ordered the wrist rest (the only thing I'm not 100% pleased with, but I'll get used to it).The Cherry Blue switches are just amazing; "butter" is the first word that came to mind. They are "clicky," but the O-rings take out a lot of the noise from the keys bottoming out. For me it's the perfect mechanical keyboard sound without it being overboard. (You can also get Cherry Brown switches, which are supposed to be much less noisy, but I like the tactile and audio feedback of the Blues as I do a lot of writing and the Blues are supposed to be the best for typing.)There are other keyboard manufactures that make comparable Cherry MX keyboards but what sets WASD apart is that, for a few extra bucks, you can custom design your own keycap set. I did this and came up with a design I thought would be nice for everyday typing and general computing. However, it occurred to me that you could also make a keycap set that was customized for FSX. The "G" key could have the word "Gear" on it (by itself or in addition to the "G" as you can put two lines of text on each key), the F2-F3 keys could have "Throttle -" and "Throttle +", and on and on. Each keycap can have its own color, so the person with a good imagination could really come up with a nice design tailored specifically for FSX. You can also buy just the keycap sets without the base keyboard, so you can potentially have multiple keycap sets without having to purchase separate keyboards (although swapping out 104 keycaps before every flight is not something I would consider doing).I don't mean to make this sound like an advertisement (I'm not in any way affiliated with the company), I'm just a very happy camper, and contemplating the potential for a custom FSX keyboard. If someone does take the time to do a custom FSX layout I would love to hear about it.

Very cool and I don't mind paying for things but even I find that excessive for a keyboard... Heck, I can paint and label my own keys LOL.Glad you are happy but $150 is a bit much for my liking. Especially considering I just picked up the G13 for $60...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

They are more expensive than a regular rubber-dome-switch keyboard for sure, but compared to other quality mechanical-switch keyboards (like Filco or Das Keyboard) they are close price-wise. For the "it's just a keyboard" crowd these are not a contender, but if you do a lot of typing a mechanical keyboard is something you should definitely consider. Even with the customization and all the extras I got, it was less than the cost of my Saitek rudder pedals, and it's something I will use for everything, not just FSX.

I just wanted to wakeup this old thread by asking if anyone had made a custom keyboard from WASD ?
I draw up this upside down layout,  And I really would love some feedback and tips on what essential commands I am missing:

fsxkeyboard.png