Sign in to follow this  
kolaf

Carenado C337 engine trouble

Hi guys,I was just enjoying a reasonably relaxing VFR flight on Vatsim from ENKJ to ENNO in the south of Norway in my quite new C337. As you might know, the weather in Norway is below freezing, so I turned on pitot heat and wing anti-ice. However, as I climbed past 4000 feet I started losing engine power which could not be restored by leaning the engine. Soon enough I had zero manifold pressure even though I had a positive fuel flow. Also the EGT readout disappeared.I assume this is in some way caused by the temperature, as dropping down a few hundred feet restored engine power. However, I could not for the life of me find anything that would heat up the system at the desired altitude. Given that I was flying on Vatsim, I got a bit stressed and started looking for an emergency airfield, but luckily I could blame the cloud cover and descend to a warmer altitude ;-)Do you have an idea as to what might have happened, and how I could avoid it next time?Help is much appreciated.Regards,Frank

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

Carburetor icing up seems logical. That's remedied by applying some carburetor heat.

That was quick. Trouble is, I haven't found any switch to turn on carburettor heat. According to the manual/reference, there is no such thing, only pitot, windshields, prop (not in my model), boots, and wing anti-ice.The best thing, according to the docs, is to land at once :-/Apparently, Google was my friend. A quick search gave me this Post: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/354954-carenado-cessna-337h-skymaster-review-by-ray-marshall/page__view__findpost__p__2174013It turns out that they had to use a keyboard command to turn on carburettor heating :(

Edited by kolaf

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen