Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

"The Live Service may be unavailable..."

I tried serching for this problem and didn't find any similar topics, so...I am running on an HP Elitebook 8650w with Windows 7 Pro. I'm connected to the internet over wireless through FIOS. I installed Flight, and it installed ok and runs fine.But when I try to sign in to Windows Live, it tries to download my profile, then I get the following error message:"The Live Service may be unavailable..."I have an existing windows live account. I can log into it fine from IE9.I can't change the password, but it seems to be ok (the same number of *'s as characters). I did install the Windows Live login helper software a while ago. Windows Live Essentials is installed.Any thoughts?

Edited by FlyingsCool

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Fromhttps://microsoftfli...troubleshootingI get a 'LIVE has failed to initialize' error when launching Microsoft Flight - how should I proceed?If you see this error, you may be facing an issue with the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant or the Windows Live Essentials Suite, which Flight shares a dependency with. Please try the following:

• Go to Add/Remove Programs and verify that you either see: - Windows Live Essentials 2011 or - Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant 6.5
  • Uninstall those if you see them there
  • Windows XP SP3 users can download the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant 6.5 from this link: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=15106
  • Windows Vista & Win 7 users can download the Sign-in Assistant 6.5 from the link above or we also recommend trying to install one of the Windows Live Essentials programs from the following link (the updated Sign-in Assistant comes with all applications in the suite): http://explore.live....-other-programs

If this resolution does not work, please try the resolutions outlined in the following Microsoft Knowledgebase Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941208I'm having trouble connecting to Games for Windows - Live. What can I do?Please see this helpful FAQ about connection issues on the Games for Windows — LIVE forum. If that doesn’t help, more assistance can be found here and here.

Edited by deltatango

I was getting that. I could log in any way allowed except through the game. This upset me because I had already bought the Hawaii pack.For me it was easily fixed. I had to replace my very old Linksys WTR54GS router with a newer model. I went to walmark and got a Belkin 650 N router for $70 bucks.I also ended up getting a new video card because the one I had was just not up to the task. I couldn't even run it at low without stutters. The new card, a cheap $70.00 Galaxy GeForce GT520 now allows me to set everything to high if I want.I know it seems like a lot just to run Flight but my son has been complaining for months that the router was causing him problems with online games and I should have replaced my video card a long time ago.

Hmm,Well, I don't think I have a choice about my router, it came from Verizon FIOS. Are there any settings I can check on the router? Guess I'll have to break out the FIOS router manual to see how to change settings on it.My problem is NOT Windows Live failed to initialize. But I did miss that one little sentence at the bottom of the post about problems associated with connecting to Live. Problem is, when I click on the link, it says "Oops, that shouldn't have happened. Looks like you found a glitch in the system" - but nothing else. Gee, Thanks Microsoft. Guess I'll have to browse the support pages.I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no change.BTW, my XBox 360 connects just fine to XBox live through the wireless in the past. XBox is broken at the moment though, so I can't check it today (I need a new DVD).

Edited by FlyingsCool

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Ok, I logged into my router and added the following ports to port forwarding for the computer I am using:Port 88 (UDP)Port 3074 (UDP & TCP)Port 53 (UDP & TCP)and Port 80 (TCP)It seemed to update the router automatically, but I rebooted the router anyway.It didn't help at all.BTW, this is my company laptop, and it has Symantec virus stuff installed. Interestingly, I can't figure out how to turn it off. And the interface is so cryptic, I can't figure out how to make changes to the firewall settings nor do I have any clue where to begin.

Edited by FlyingsCool

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Oh, the router is a FIOS (Actiontec) mi424wr wireless N router. It is not on the list of supported routers found in a link at Microsoft Support KB977709.Oh, and, yes, I can sign in using the GfW Marketplace App.I tried going to a local library, and I can't log in from MSFlight there either. The GfW Marketplace app can log in there, though.When I get home, I'll check if UPnP is on. But, as I noted the ports are all open.

Edited by FlyingsCool

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Ok, yes, UPnP is on.It seems the last thing I haven't referenced is the Symantec Endpoint Protection. Any thoughts on settings that I need for this?Guess I'll have to talk to IT tomorrow, since it appears they have turned off my ability to turn off protection.

Edited by FlyingsCool

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

A little more information:I ran the microsoft Network test. from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/results.mspxAll the tests passed except:It couldn't resolve the NAT test - something about "DIdn't receive any Router Advertisement frames from the Teredo server"It didn't run the UPnP testThe detailed report gave the following result - The operating system is Windows Vista get_FirewallEnabled() failed=80070057 IsUPnPDiscoveryEnabled() failed=80070057 Failed to get the UPnP Discovery SettingsHmm, one issue is that the computer is running Windows 7, not Vista.UPnP is definitely supported by the router and on, and I could see multiple open ports that had been automatically created, including a Windows Live port for this computer.

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

OK, more news. I ran the network test on my desktop, and it passed all tests. The desktop is wired to the router.I installed Flight on it; it, too, cannot connect to Live, same error message. So it seems Symantec is not the problem, since it is not on this computer.I deleted all the references to XLive port forwards on my Actiontec router. I tried logging in again. no go from Flight.Note that I can still log in using MSGFW Marketplace app.It did recreate a port forward for XLIve at UDP 19673.BTW, the another port was missing from my list above, Port 443 (TCP)Which brings up a question. I can only create port forwards for a single IP address. I've been using the IP address of the computer that I am trying to connect from. How do I handle this if I have multiple computers which all need to use the same ports, as required by Live?

Edited by FlyingsCool

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg