Sign in to follow this  
Deaf Pilot

ultralights

I have always seen people flying these little things all over place. I am currently a student pilot (3 mroe flights and im ready for my checkride) and Im looking for some info on these little planes. They looks like great fun and affordable to fly. If anyone can direct me to the requiremnts to fly one and a helpful website that will be great. Im also wondering if anyone can give me what the average two seater sells for. Well thanks for any information.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just do a search on google.com, using the keywords "ultralight, training (and perhaps your state"Any fool can fly one without a license, as NTSB reports often show. As for two seaters, you need to study the part 103 regs on those. If you are getting a PPL, you may find a used 150/152 a better and safer investment. 2 seater UL's have limitations that you have to respect. Other than using a two seater for training someone, I would not suggest using them to take a loved one for sightseeing, etc.... It'd be illegal, for one, under strict view of the 103 regs. Trikes are the most popular in AZ, where I live. In the winter, it is rare that I don't see one or two in my commute home. In the summer, there's too much chop for 'em to fly, outside of the early AM hours. If you're a 3-axis pilot, flying a Trike can be a challenge. I would not suggest learning how, until you had many 3-axis hours under your belt. Last, don't consider ultralights for any serious point to point flying. The 5 gal fuel limitation gives 60-120 mins of range, tops. Again, with some used 150's running around 20,000, about twice what I've seen trainers run for, you're in something with many more possibilities...

I totally agree with JohnCi on the 150/152 idea... yes, they are more expensive to maintain but you get alot more bang for the buck... UL's, IMO, are purely for a short amount of simple flying fun. Sorta like... pull on a helmet, strap in, start the engine, and go for about half an hour of low altitude flying around the aiport, come back in, shut down, tie down and go home sort of thing. 150's wouldnt be TOO much more complicated than that but you can do alot more with them.