Sign in to follow this  
BonanzaPilot

FS9 3GB Patch Windows 7

Hey guys, I am currently running FS9 on Windows 7. Lately, I have been getting Out of Memory errors about every other flight. Today I decided to apply the 3GB patch to stop the error. I followed the guide seen here: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/55994-set-fs-and-winxp-to-use-the-3gb-switch/ However, I don't believe the boot.ini file can be manually edited in Windows 7. When looking online I found that you can add the line: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 2560 into Pommand Prompt. Command Prompt said that this was successful. Is this all that I needed to do to install the 3GB or did I do something wrong? Is there any way that I can check to see if FS9 is able to successfully use more than 2GB now? If I did this wrong, could someone please point me in the right direction for the 3GB patch on Windows 7? Thanks for the help.

Hey guys, I am currently running FS9 on Windows 7. Lately, I have been getting Out of Memory errors about every other flight. Today I decided to apply the 3GB patch to stop the error. I followed the guide seen here: http://forum.simflig...the-3gb-switch/ However, I don't believe the boot.ini file can be manually edited in Windows 7. When looking online I found that you can add the line: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 2560 into Pommand Prompt. Command Prompt said that this was successful. Is this all that I needed to do to install the 3GB or did I do something wrong? Is there any way that I can check to see if FS9 is able to successfully use more than 2GB now? If I did this wrong, could someone please point me in the right direction for the 3GB patch on Windows 7? Thanks for the help.
I assume you patched the FS9 executable with one of the available tools? If so, and you're running Win7 x32 then you enabled the switch properly. If you're running Win7 x64 you didn't need the bcdedit command, but it won't hurt anything.DJ

I assume you patched the FS9 executable with one of the available tools? If so, and you're running Win7 x32 then you enabled the switch properly. If you're running Win7 x64 you didn't need the bcdedit command, but it won't hurt anything.DJ
Yes, I patched FS9 with Explorer Suite and I am running Win7 x32. I wanted to make sure the number in the bcdedit command was supposed to be 2560. Thanks!

Yes, I patched FS9 with Explorer Suite and I am running Win7 x32. I wanted to make sure the number in the bcdedit command was supposed to be 2560. Thanks!
That's a good number to start with unless you have a graphics card with more than 1GB of memory - if you do you may have to reduce the number.DJ

That's a good number to start with unless you have a graphics card with more than 1GB of memory - if you do you may have to reduce the number.DJ
Using a 2GB card running 3 monitors with EyeFinity. What number would you recommend? Is there any way that I can check if the patch is working while running FS? Thanks for all of the help.

Using a 2GB card running 3 monitors with EyeFinity. What number would you recommend? Is there any way that I can check if the patch is working while running FS? Thanks for all of the help.
Go ahead and give what you have a try... if it blows up on you then try userva=2280. Win7 loads drivers differently than XP so I'm not sure what proportion of the 4GB addressable space gets used by the graphics card. If you have a 64bit system don't worry about it - userva is irrelevent there.DJ

Go ahead and give what you have a try... if it blows up on you then try userva=2280. Win7 loads drivers differently than XP so I'm not sure what proportion of the 4GB addressable space gets used by the graphics card. If you have a 64bit system don't worry about it - userva is irrelevent there.DJ
Had a successful flight today with no OOM error. I am assuming 2560 works then? Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it!

Are you using any Turkish sceneries? The newest for FS9 has memory leaks.. I too am using the 3 GB patch and have for a week and works wonders.

Are you using any Turkish sceneries? The newest for FS9 has memory leaks.. I too am using the 3 GB patch and have for a week and works wonders.
No Turkish sceneries. Mainly stay in North and South America. However, I have completed 3 flights with no issues. Two 2.5 hr and one 3.5 hr. They had a lot of weather involved to so I think the fix worked? Thanks for all of the help.