Sign in to follow this  
Hawseyair

Whilst we wait for track ir!

Hi all, I am a real world private pilot. I also have been simming for many years. I too love track ir and the way it revolutionized fs9/fsx. That being said, we will obviously have to wait. And, mostly due to that, I resisted MS Flight. Also because I used FSE. And yes, I did say "used"!! But as I eased into MS Flight, I realized that I was having fun. Is it smoother? Yes! Does it crash? No! Are the graphics better? Yes! Are the job boards just like a built in FSE? Yes! Do the job boards on MS Flight go down for "server maintenance" (won't name names)? No! Are the flight dynamics more realistic? Any real world GA pilot that tells you they aren't is lying. Oh and by the way, stop tweaking the trim and stuff folks. I gotta tell ya.....in real small GA aircraft can you trim perfect with just the trim wheel? No! You trim close as possible, then use throttle adjustments to fine tune. And as winds change, you adjust throttle as necessary. And are real small GA aircraft controls touchy? Yes! You will learn to make soft baby fine control inputs with experience. Ah the fun of learning to fly. So, in a nut shell I have found that the only thing daunting was the lack of track ir. Yes, I said "was". Let me pose a question that I asked myself when looking for a workaround. In what manner do I look around when I fly (and in the real thing as well)? Answer, I primarily look side to side both when cruising (site seeing) and naturally when turning (around a point or lining up on approach pattern etc.). And then, while studying the MS Flight possible control settings, I noticed a possible work around was built in. Here is what I did...... 1. Set your rudder control to your pedals (if you don't have any, then set them to buttons or something else, any thing but the joystick twist) 2. Set your look left/right (axis) (Yes it's there in MS Flight's control settings) to joystick twist 3. Set your look up/down (axis) (Yes it's there too) to the little rotary knob on my saitek near my thumb on the throttle(I think it is called y rotation) - btw you will only use this to do checklists or make initial adjustments, so if you don't have this rotation axis on your stick, use buttons 4. Fly and try for at least 15 minutes to get used to it. It is very natural to twist your wrist ever so slightly as you put in aileron input (turn). As you do this your "head" (view) will turn into the roll. And when you cruise, just twist left and right to site see. When you wanna look up//down to do checklists, etc.... simply use your assigned rotation axis or buttons. Now I can enjoy the improved graphics, flight dynamics, and wide array of things to do/accomplish without any complaints. Oh and btw I don't have to wear a hat when I fly. Try this and I think you'll be hooked. Oh and did I mention what a bonus it is to be able to hear your passenger talk to you or your animal cargo squawking in the hold? So....this is a flight simulator, WITH built in FSE, WITH built in "Accusim", and WITH built in "FSPassenger". Hmmmnnnnnn............seems kinda cheap now!!!!!!!!!!!!

On paper it looks like a brilliant idea. However, my hat switch performs the functions you suggest ascribing to the twist and 2 other buttons. I have implemented your suggestion and am not sure of the advantage but will try it and report back. The deadzone on my stick may be a problem preventing the intuitive look round as I bank.I am not a pilot but I already feel that MS Flight has made me fly the GA planes better - more correctly/by the book - than the various MSFS's have done.

I have tried to reduce the null zone in the control config but the hatswitch is still more effective. Perhaps this is because I have a cheap joystick which does not have its own config program like the Saitek.

Works good for me but I understand everyone is different. Well, hopefully track ir will pop up soon. I'm sure they're working on it. Glad you agree the flight dynamics are better.

You guys that want native Track IR support, if you have not yet, be sure and drop them a line regarding this:msflight@microsoft.comI have been enouraging everyone that wants this to do so. I understand they are aware of how much we, the flight sim community, wants this and it is probably on a list of things to get done - hopefully. The more they hear from, the better - might even get it moved up a few notches on the list...Thanks to everyone that has done so and will do so!

I would be surprised this implement this anytime soon. With the new Kinect for Windows costing around 250 Cdn and MS with their will to milk the wallets anyway they can, you will surely bet Kinect for Windows will be the first device they support for MS Flight.Anyway notice Saitek, most of their controllers say Compatible with Flight as well, Saitek owned by MadCatz who also have a 3rd party deal with MS for the 360. Was checking out Thrustmaster and Logitech yesterday and couldn't find anything on their nice kit that had the Compatible with Flight Logo.MS will prob open the development after they start winding down their own, but that would prob only happen after their own DLC sales slowed down and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I would be surprised this implement this anytime soon. With the new Kinect for Windows costing around 250 Cdn and MS with their will to milk the wallets anyway they can, you will surely bet Kinect for Windows will be the first device they support for MS Flight.Anyway notice Saitek, most of their controllers say Compatible with Flight as well, Saitek owned by MadCatz who also have a 3rd party deal with MS for the 360. Was checking out Thrustmaster and Logitech yesterday and couldn't find anything on their nice kit that had the Compatible with Flight Logo.MS will prob open the development after they start winding down their own, but that would prob only happen after their own DLC sales slowed down and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
I would not be surprised, after all FSX had native Track IR support upon release, and FS9 had it added as well. Flight is actually, the first flight simulator released that did not include native Track IR support, in something like 10 years or so , and I am sure they are very well aware of this. I do believe it will be added even before Kinect, in fact while I have no inside information whatsoever, I suspect they had planned to have it in their initital release - Natural Point had already sent them all the software required for this, and it just did not make the cut for the early release - yes, an assumption on my part however.But I do know and believe, the more they hear from flight simmers on the need to have this in Flight, the more attention it will get.