Sign in to follow this  
Jarkko

Reducing speed for approach?

Hello!I've been doing test flight from KSFO to KSAN with Wilco's A320 and Radar Contact instructs me: "When reaching 11000, reduce speed to 250 kts".How long should I maintain 250kts a) to keep Radar Contact happy :( When would I be allowed to slow down IRL?When I get clearance to descend bellow 10000 (with out further speed restrictions), can I slow down to, say 180kts? When trying to maintain 250 until final, I struggle to slow the a320 to a manageable landing speed :)Thanks!

Hi,Once you have met the crossing restriction of in your case 11000/250knts,when you receive your descend instructions it is up to the pilot to manage his speed in relation to the Star if you are using one,and distance to touchdown.The crossing restriction is the only time you will here a speed mentioned providing that you do not exceed any mandatory speed restrictions,such as staying below 250knts both climbing to or descending from 10000ft.Norman

Thank you Norman! This should make my approaches a bit more enjoyable :)

The downwind leg has a check for 230kts. If you exceed it you will be warnedI keep to 230kts on downwind reducing to 190kts on the turn to base then further reducing to 180kts as I turn onto the runway heading. Then reduce to 160kts and on reaching 4DME reduce further to landing speed.However, that is for a farside approach where you are cleared to FL120/12000ft. On a nearside 11000ft approach you should aim to get your speed down to 210kts pretty quickly as the distance to the runway is considerably less and it's very easy to end up either too fast, too high or both!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather