Sign in to follow this  
EagleSkinner

A Masochist's Dream Comes True

I saw a very nice looking model on the market, but knowing the author to be somewhat lackadaisical with his mapping I wrote first and asked "are the engine grilles individually mapped on either side of the nose or are they mirror mapped". The kind gent replied "Individually mapped"... So I bought the model with the intentin of doing some EagleSkinning on it.I unwrapped the box and took the model flying - very nice so far. Then I looked at the paint kit and did some colouring in...(All Images below are clickable to open large versions if you want to see the real detail...)Left side: th_leftgrilles.jpgRight side: th_rightgrilles.jpgTexture sheet: th_mappedgrilles.jpgOh yes - he individually mapped the louvres - but only 18, so he has mirrored the 18 on the opposite side.So if you wanted to do a simple "red bull" type noe art: th_getsbetter2.jpgIf you are a model developer reading this then take a painter's plea to heart "Ask US about the mapping before you make a dog's dinner of your model."I have had to critique every model from this developer in the past for one inaccuracy or the other and I hoped that because he has gone solo this time that he had changed and "gotten better at it".

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

It gets worse......much worse:th_getsbetter3.jpg

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Now before anyone accuses me of unfair treatment of the developer, I will add that a 3D modeler has far more developed tools at his disposal than us mortal texture painters. We can only paint a two dimensional texture sheet. The modeller can paint or drape a photoreal texture over his 3D model BEFORE he extracts the UVmaps to 2D texture sheets. I cannot afford 3DS software.So we third-party painters have to use the mapping the modeler gives us. Like these:th_yeswecan.jpg

Do not forget to take your tiny green pills Chris.I really think you need them now.This is driving a painter into madness.Well done job nevertheless ( as usual )CheersLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

On the bright side - The Alabeo Sukhoi is rather fun to fly! So I have to "force myself"...