Sign in to follow this  
FrankFasi

Using stock FSX gauges

When adding a new gauge using FSPanelStudio the dialog box doesn't allow access to all of the stock aircraft gauges. For example, the Lear 45 cab file is not available in the list, so I can't select a Lear gauge. Of course, I DO have access to my plane's "panel folder". I'm trying to finish this plane up to upload as freeware here at Avsim, but I'm leery of the legal ramifications of copying gauges or cab files from the stock aircraft folders to my plane's panel folder in order to include them. So, FSPanelStudio doesn't show the other planes' gauges in the list, but is there a way to reference them anyway via direct edit of the panel.cfg file, by including a path in the gauge entry somehow? Or, is it legal to "borrow" gauges from the cab files of the stock aircraft in order to create a custom cab file for one's aircraft, which is then placed in the custom aircraft's panel folder (and thus accessible by FSPanelStudio). I would think it's legal, since anyone flying the downloaded plane would have to have FSX installed anyway.Thanks for any enlightenment...

Copy the required gauges from their aircraft panel folders into the main FS gauges folder. FSPS will then be able to see them.Doug

I can do that. For distribution, then, could I include those gauges in my .zip file, such that when unzipped those gauges are unzipped into the end user's FSXGauges folder, while the rest of the plane goes to FSXSimObjectsAirplanesMyPlane? If that's all there is to it, and it's legal, that's what I'll do. I guess the thinking is that you can't assume those gauges have already been copied to the end user's gauges folder, so your install has to copy them just in case...

You can not legally re-distribute stock gauges.The correct and legal was is to simply reference the a/c's panel they are in in the gaugenn= entry of the panel.cfg filegauge37=....Lear45panelLear_45_XML!EICAS, 413,391In any case, it would be a classic "bad idea" to re-distribute stock gauges because some users have already modified their own copy and it would really upset them to have their changes overwritten, even if by accident. :Waiting:EDIT: I added the missing .. to the backpath.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I figured it might be as simple as including the path to the gauges I want to use, right in the panel.cfg file, and that's what I'll do for this panel. Thanks also for the example.

gauge37=..Lear45panelLear_45_XML!EICAS, 413,391
I got a variation of the above to work. Here's what worked: gauge37=....Lear45panelLear_45_XML!EICAS, 413,391My guess is that a separate .. is needed for each level back you need to go. Two folders would be .... and that makes sense for getting from an aircraft panel folder back to the "Airplanes" folder.

You are correct. I did not go back "up" high enough in the folder ladder...I'm happy though that you found the solution.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator