Sign in to follow this  

Here is one for you experienced overclockers. I have 2 Identicle PCs running Asus P5N-D mobo, E8400 CPU, nvidia GTX9800, 4 GB RAM. Extra case fans and better CPU cooling. I have one running W7 the other XP. Using the Asus AI overclocking software I can overclock the W7 machine by 15% & it runs fine. I tried it on the XP machine it will boot up and then fly in FS9 or FSX then locks up after about 30 minutes. IT won't boot on 10% overclock but runs fine on 5% overclock. In all cases the temperatures are fine. Does anyone have any bright ideas on that. I would be very interested on your thoughts.Thanks in advance :smile:

Different CPUs of the same type give different overclocks, that's a fact. There is no identical chip.Because you're using Asus AI, there's no way the experienced guys can help you until we no what voltage you're using and what speed the FSB is at, among other things.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Hi Zach, thanks for your reply, I realise that like most things manufactured or otherwise are not 100% identical, but I thought with something like this that they would be very close. When i tried the overclock on both PC's they behave similar. They both overclock to 5%(3150Ghz) and run well.They both do not post at 10%. They XP rig boots up at 15% but not the W7. When in default mode the FSB is at 1333MHz at 5% AI overclock is running at 1400MHz vid is 1.256v. In AI 15% overclock it is running at 3450GHz FSB at 1533.39MHz vid 1.312 v. I notice that in AI modes that don't post after I alter settings(10% & 20%) in each the BIOS does'nt give me the warning not to touch the power or reset button. The thing is a puzzle. I sthere a chance it is a quirk of this mobo & cpu combination?I would appreciate any thoughtsDave

Hi Zach, thanks for your reply, I realise that like most things manufactured or otherwise are not 100% identical, but I thought with something like this that they would be very close. When i tried the overclock on both PC's they behave similar. They both overclock to 5%(3150Ghz) and run well.They both do not post at 10%. They XP rig boots up at 15% but not the W7. When in default mode the FSB is at 1333MHz at 5% AI overclock is running at 1400MHz vid is 1.256v. In AI 15% overclock it is running at 3450GHz FSB at 1533.39MHz vid 1.312 v. I notice that in AI modes that don't post after I alter settings(10% & 20%) in each the BIOS does'nt give me the warning not to touch the power or reset button. The thing is a puzzle. I sthere a chance it is a quirk of this mobo & cpu combination?I would appreciate any thoughtsDave