Sign in to follow this  
Schnell13

Touch and Go's with the 737NGX

(Actually these are just round-robin flights from take off to landing and stop)I often make manual or AP controlled TO/Landing circuits with the 737-NGX, mostly just to practice the landing flare. This is without anything at all programmed into the CDU (No Flight Plan).I have no problem with the first part of the flights (well sometimes my pitch trim is a little off), and acquire the VOR's and ILS lock-ups on the approach as scheduled for the landing. However, Ican't seem to get a lock onto the Glide Slope using APR. No big problem, by then I am in visual acquisition range, so can finish VFR or I can use VLOC and VS to complete the landing.However, I don't understand exactly what is going on re the Glide Slope. Can someone explain why I can't get the GS Lock? Is there something in the 737 system that requires a flight planloaded into the CDU to lock up the glide slope?Thanks,Tom Hill

(Actually these are just round-robin flights from take off to landing and stop)I often make manual or AP controlled TO/Landing circuits with the 737-NGX, mostly just to practice the landing flare. This is without anything at all programmed into the CDU (No Flight Plan).I have no problem with the first part of the flights (well sometimes my pitch trim is a little off), and acquire the VOR's and ILS lock-ups on the approach as scheduled for the landing. However, Ican't seem to get a lock onto the Glide Slope using APR. No big problem, by then I am in visual acquisition range, so can finish VFR or I can use VLOC and VS to complete the landing.However, I don't understand exactly what is going on re the Glide Slope. Can someone explain why I can't get the GS Lock? Is there something in the 737 system that requires a flight planloaded into the CDU to lock up the glide slope?Thanks,Tom Hill
If you have entered the correct frequency on the Nav 1 radio, there is no reason why you should not intercept the glide slope at all. You must make sure of course that you are at the correct flight level in order to do this. Too high and although you have intercepted the localiser, you will never see the glide slope. I hope this helps?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hi,Found the problem(s). It was "Cockpit Error" on my part.I had the frequency set correctly and was at the right altiude, but somehow during the setup of my saved starting flignt, I had switched the Captain's side to VOR 2 (probably while reaching for the FD switch) and wasn't paying attention to that display indication. Also i was not switching the display to APR at GS lockup.Got to be more careful. Everything works now.Thanks to both of you for the responses. Red face, and String closed.Tom