Sign in to follow this  
razorhog703

Radio Tuning in Flight

I might have missed something, but when tuning radios in Flight it seems to take forever. I fly with my mouse pad on my laptop and when I go to change the radios my plane will pitch all over as I am changing the frequency. In addition, the hand to "grab" the knob will take forever to activate.

My question is this... is there a way to change radio frequencies using the keyboard? This includes Nav and Com frequencies and selecting the primary source.

I apologize if this has been asked/answered already.

Thanks in advance.

Razorhog703

I hover over the dials and use the mouse wheel, which is rather quick. If possible, a mouse would probably make things easier than a trackpad. And as far as I know there are no keyboard commands for the dials.

Easiest way to change the radios is to hover the mouse over them and rotate the scroll wheel (or in the case of the trackpad, slide your finger on the scrollbar) instead of clicking and dragging. I'm not aware of any way to do it with the keyboard.

Edit: Zinfinion is Ninjetti.

I fly with my mouse pad on my laptop and when I go to change the radios my plane will pitch all over as I am changing the frequency. In addition, the hand to "grab" the knob will take forever to activate.

Er... maybe I am missing something but do you pause the mouse mode (by pressing spacebar) before you want to tune the radio...? You can't control the airplane AND tune the radio at the same time when you use mouse mode...

Perhaps I will try the scroll bar. When you pause the mouse mode it will reactivate itself once you touch it again.

Easiest way to change the radios is to hover the mouse over them and rotate the scroll wheel (or in the case of the trackpad, slide your finger on the scrollbar) instead of clicking and dragging. I'm not aware of any way to do it with the keyboard.

Edit: Zinfinion is Ninjetti.

Man! that's so much better than clicking/dragging. Thank you.

You can still set the radios in mouse flying mode. Hold the right mouse button, move the mouse over the radio knob, then while still holding right mouse, you can use the scroll wheel/bar to change the radio. You can also do this for clicking on other cockpit controls, just make sure you turn to look back out the windscreen before you release the right mouse button.

lol i bet it looks funny when i am changing radios as my plane will pitch wildly. I have made more than one passenger sick that way. :)

If I'm every flying with you razorhog and I see you pitching wildly about I'll just say to myself "Razorhog is setting his radios" ;)

LOL well I will use the scroll for now to hopefully correct this issue. (dreaming)... if only I had a working radio stack. :)

I still need to connect my Saitek yoke and pedels, that might help a lot. Mouse flying has been a challenge to say the least especially when doing aerobatic flying.

Razor, try leaving mouse mode on and using the right-click to move your cursor over the radio. That will let you change the settings without changing the controls one iota! You'll probably still make accidental movements, but once you get used to it, you can change the radios while flying in mouse mode without any wobble whatsoever. :Just Kidding:

Razor, try leaving mouse mode on and using the right-click to move your cursor over the radio.

Yeah I have tried that but it still gives me issues when trying to "grab" the knob have to click all over just to get ahold of it. Thanks for the advice though Azure. My passenger thank you as well. :Pig:

It is not something that Microsoft has put in the game... yet. The other virtual pilots I fly with have created one for our sessions that does work when tuned in our sessions. I wish I knew how he does it, but it is kinda cool to hear when flying around.