Sign in to follow this  
Grotius

Newb questions: REX; ORBX; FSUIPC; autopilot.

I am still learning FSX, but eventually I'll want to try flying in VATSIM. I've read a fair chunk of the Pilot Resource Center, and I understand there are organizations to help ease in newbs. Still, I'm confused about some things. Some specific questions:

1. I'm using REX with FSX, and I'm curious -- would I disable REX if I wanted to try VATSIM? Or would REX correctly use the weather indicated by VATSIM's servers? Do I need to do anything special in FSX to order it to use VATSIM weather?

2. Can I run ORBX and other scenery add-ons while in VATSIM?

3. It looks like I need SquawkBox and something like VatSpy. Are there any other addons required? I don't currently use FSUIPC, for example.

4. How much flying skill do I need to try flying VFR at a low-traffic airport in VATSIM? I've been working through FSX's lessons (with Rod) for the past few weeks, and doing a tour of Oz in the Beechcraft Baron. I can fly a traffic pattern reasonably well in the default Cessna 172, an aircraft I'm reasonably comfortable with. But I still struggle a bit with the Baron, which is faster, more complex, and has a lower-slung wing that makes it hard to track the runway (especially on right-turn patterns). I also have trouble holding altitude with the Baron; it seems to want to climb or descend fast. (Is it "cheating" to use autopilot to hold altitude when, say, flying the downwind leg?) I can find just about anything with GPS, which is so easy that I'm lazy about using VORs and other navigational aids, though I have forced myself to practice with them.

Thanks!

1. Use whatever you like, make sure vatsim weathers turned off in SB or FSINN

2. Of course

3. That's it

4. If you know what a traffic pattern is then you're better than most VATSIM pilots. I don't know what that lesson teaches you from an procedure/communication point of view so make sure and read the VATSIM PRC. ZLA also has awesome pilot training documents and courses.

The most important thing is that you can fly and navigate your plane. Learn about radials and eventually how to fly an instrument chart without using gps. But as long as you learn the communication stuff it sounds like you're ready for your VCR flight.

When you do ifr, know how to navigate. Know how to fly your flight plan on your own. It's so frustrating when pilots have some flight planner spit a flight plan that they don't understand into FS and then they follow it with gps. If you ask them to do anything else they melt down because they don't know how to go direct to a for VOR for example.

Most importantly don't file something you don't understand, and don't comply with an instruction you don't understand or hear. There's NOTHING wrong with saying repeat or saying you don't know how to do something, but there's everything wrong with saying you I'll comply with an instruction and have no idea what to do.

Check out laartcc.org for good training

Also look at denartcc.org in the training section for videos I made one is all about VFR paterns. They are from the controllers perspective but very helpful nonetheless.

Noah Bryant

Thanks for your reply, Noah. I love that video of ATC in the Denver area! Very interesting. Do you ever use the "virtual tower view" that I've read about? Or is that eye candy that interferes with ATC operations?

On weather, I'd like to use VATSIM weather. Does REX supplant it? If so, I'd turn off REX.

As to navigation, I can follow a VOR radial, I have a basic understanding of different airspace classes, and I've spent a fair bit of time learning how to decipher charts, including procedural turns and SIDs. But I don't know how to file or follow a flight plan, and I am just now starting the 737 lessons in FSX, so I'm not ready for IFR. Jets go so fast. :)

One other question. VATSIM policies seem to require that one use one's full real name. I'm always reluctant to do that on the internet. Is there any flexibility in that policy?

Thanks!

No I don't use tower view. It's only compatible with FS9 and I've found it to be a bit difficult to use. Nice to look at though.

I'm pretty sure you can set REX to use VATSIM weather information, although I don't recommend that. Some have reported problems using that. 99.9% of the time you are okay jut using REX/AS real weather. Sometimes the VATSIM weather servers can get out of sync too. When a controller looks at the weather, they are seeing whatever VATSIM weather servers are saying so sometimes there can be discrepancies. There's no perfect solution.

If you are learning to follow SIDs and STARs then you wont have difficulty with the flight plan. If you are in the US, make a simple flight plan on skyvector.com such as KDEN FQF PUB KPUB and fly it just by tuning each VOR and flying to it. Outside of the US it's harder to find charts but they're out here.

There's nothing wrong with doing all your first flights in a small prop plane. In fact it's best to do that. A lot of pilots load up some fancy plane for their first flight and everything overwealms them. Autopilot is okay, but just make sure you know how to use it. You'd be surprised how many times I have seen pilots read back a heading, but they never turn because they dial the heading into the autopilot but forget to engage heading mode.

Your name is required, yes. I know some people don't enter their real name and I have heard of people being banned if it is discovered. Perhaps using a middle name or something along those lines? Just don't enter something like "Ima Pilot69", lol.

Noah Bryant

Thanks! I'm going to give it a go, though not until next week; going out of town. Thanks again!

If you want to learn a bit after the FSX lessons, check www.flyaoamedia.com . There you can watch instruction videos both for airliners as well as basic things on how to handle the aircraft in general, ifr, etc... The first 90 lessons are free, the other products need to be purchased. There's as well flight groups that fly both on Vatsim or do private GA flights. It's perfect to get in touch with people and learn.

I for example started my first Vatsim flight with guys from there. And that was perfect in such that we were in contact over teamspeak while flying on Vatsim. So they can assist you in what to do, what to answer, help you out if you miss calls etc...

Have a look around and see if it suits you.

Cheers and hope to see you around somewhen,

Rafael

Thanks! I'm going to give it a go, though not until next week; going out of town. Thanks again!

let us know how it goes

Noah Bryant