Sign in to follow this  
medx421

Scenery Request (FSX) KSMF - Sacramento International Airport

Hello all,

I am openly submitting a request for scenery designers who may be looking for a new project to take on. KSMF (Sacramento International Airport) has undergone significant changes over the past few years including changes of taxiways, demolition of an old terminal and hotel, building of a new terminal hub with tram to a secondary terminal area as well as changes in parking just to name a few. Unfortunately it hasn't been a project much tackled by FSX enthusiasts. There are a few well done AFCAD's as they pertained to repairing the ILS and appropriating some of the aircraft parking, however these are in themselves significantly outdated. There was an excellent project done by David Biggar, however it was done for FS9 and doesn't play nice with FSX. Biggar's project too has become outdated with the recent construction. Anyway, I am just looking for some accuracy in an AFCAD. A grand scenery project would be great, but I know that is time consuming as well. I have sat down and attempted to play with the AFCAD's, however I find myself messing up more than I repair. I have also contacted a few very talented AFCAD designers out there, but they are unable to take on the project. As I was saying, I am looking for taxiway repair, addition of new buildings with removal of the old. They do not necessarily need to be custom buildings, just something that represents the new feel of the airport. With this, it would be great to have accurate airline parking as well for third party AI add on's. Below I have attached an ADE image of the default field (current AFCAD's do not reflect many changes from the default), as well as a google earth image of how the field looks now. If anyone is interested in the project, I would be very grateful, as well as it would be doing the community a service by updating a sorely outdated field in FSX. Thank you in advance to anyone who may embark on the challenge.

758smfold.jpg

450smfnew.jpg

Thank you,

Nick

The easiest way for you to do it youself with ADE is to download the airport chart and use it as a background image. A slightly better way would be to create a photographic insert for FSX using FS Earth Tiles and use this as a template with ADE connected to FSX. Both of these methods are shown below:

ksmf.jpg

George

Thank you for your time George. I am not opposed to working on it myself, just haven't been too sucessful up to this point. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I have created an AFD file with parking and taxiways accurate to the satellite images:

ksmf1.jpg

Unfortunately due to the way FSX draws taxiway centre-lines it was not possible to include them, instead it relies on the setellite ground image.

ksmf3.jpg

ksmf2.jpg

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it on to you as a template for your work.

George

Nick,

I'm relatively new at building custom 3D objects, but could be willing to help you tackle the project as I'm interested in it as well.

089327bad7087b8f202769307b435ba9.jpg

M. Starks - Senior Charter Pilot

I haven't had much if any time to devote to the project. I wish I did, but life right now is just pulling me in about 30 different directions. I did download a recent upload from Mike Funk which isn't too bad. The new terminal is fairly customized and includes the tram. I was able to go in and do some fairly easy tweaks to the land class and some other exclusions, because as you know, SMF is certainly not in the forest that FSX depicts it to be in. I am also working with George's file, as he made some good strides in his design as well. I wish it was something I was capable of, or had the free time to design from scratch, but I am just so stretched, that it would be a miracle just to get the availability that it deserves in. You may be able to get on board with George above and take a look at what he has done and go from there, or the recent upload from Mike Funk, as they both have put SMF in the right direction. As I get more time, I will look into doing as much as I can towards the project. It was great to see a response come out, and it has already started to make a difference. Thank you to all.

Nick