Sign in to follow this  
jfuller

2700K & 1.65 Ram Confusion?

Ok, I've just built a new system for FSX. 2700K, P8Z77-V MB Gskill Ram 2133 @ 1.65V GTX 580 Superclocked W7 Pro 64Bit. Now I'm confused about the ram I'm running? In the Asus book it says intel only recommends 1.5v ram. However I seen a lot of people are running 1.65v ram and some 1.50v. Will running 1.65v ram shorten the life of the 2700K cpu? If so what would you guys recommend as far as 1.50v ram brand and timings. Also running H100 push/pull config and temps only idle@low 30's and load mid 50's o/c to 4.4..Seems I can't get any higher o/c than 4.4. Would like to go to at least 4.6 to 4.8? Any help would be appreceiated. Can I change the stock 1.65v on ram to 1.50v inthe bios to help with overclock? My ram is Gskill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 PC3-17000CL9D-8GBXM 4096MBx2 CL9-11-10-28 2T

Regards,

my Kingston Hyper-X 2133 will only run @ 2133 with 1.65v and Asus (and Intel) say that's fine as the memory controller (and RAM) can deal with it. My RAM also runs at 1333 @ 1.5v. It's the RAM you'll cook, not the CPU with the RAM voltages

As for the overclock, I have been using a load of different profiles to O/C on my X79 mobo and have found that the Asus preset 4.7 "gamers" overclock has given me the best speed vs heat. It keeps the RAM at 1333 but with a command rate of 1T..With the 2133 profiles it puts the command rate to 2T, and the O/C generates a lot more heat..

There are some great ROG Youtube vids specifically about O/Cing Asus boards..leaned some useful stuff. Now got a stable O/C using a spread of speeds axcross the cores: 48 on the first two cores, then 47, 46 and 45, 45 on the rest. Fixed Vcore of 1.4

http://www.youtube.com/user/asusrog

j

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

my Kingston Hyper-X 2133 will only run @ 2133 with 1.65v and Asus (and Intel) say that's fine as the memory controller (and RAM) can deal with it. My RAM also runs at 1333 @ 1.5v. It's the RAM you'll cook, not the CPU with the RAM voltages

As for the overclock, I have been using a load of different profiles to O/C on my X79 mobo and have found that the Asus preset 4.7 "gamers" overclock has given me the best speed vs heat. It keeps the RAM at 1333 but with a command rate of 1T..With the 2133 profiles it puts the command rate to 2T, and the O/C generates a lot more heat..

There are some great ROG Youtube vids specifically about O/Cing Asus boards..leaned some useful stuff. Now got a stable O/C using a spread of speeds axcross the cores: 48 on the first two cores, then 47, 46 and 45, 45 on the rest. Fixed Vcore of 1.4

http://www.youtube.com/user/asusrog

j

Ok thanks Jake. I'll have a look at the videos you provided and go from there!

Regards,

Alawys and I mean ALWAYS run your rams at the manuf. spec. (what's on the sticker on the rams) period.

You have to manually set all timing and voltage in bios before overclocking, so you should set your rams at 9-11-10-28 2T in bios.

After and only after you found your sweet spot as far as overclocking your CPU (what ever you are comfortable with for 24/7) you may try to overclock your rams (if your up to it) by tightening the timing or raising the MHz, in both case you will probably need the raise the voltage on the rams to stay stable,.... here is a secret you won't hear from Intel but my (and other) DDR3 tri chanel can take up to 1.8v.....

Alawys and I mean ALWAYS run your rams at the manuf. spec. (what's on the sticker on the rams) period.

You have to manually set all timing and voltage in bios before overclocking, so you should set your rams at 9-11-10-28 2T in bios.

After and only after you found your sweet spot as far as overclocking your CPU (what ever you are comfortable with for 24/7) you may try to overclock your rams (if your up to it) by tightening the timing or raising the MHz, in both case you will probably need the raise the voltage on the rams to stay stable,.... here is a secret you won't hear from Intel but my (and other) DDR3 tri chanel can take up to 1.8v.....

Good advice Alain. You can even downclock your RAM setting everything manually to ensure it doesn't interfere with your CPU overclock, then once you've maxed out the CPU clocks or you got it where you want it, set your RAM at manufacturer's specs

Ok Alain will run ram at manufactures1.65v which I have it at now. Also managed to o/c cpu to 4.7 and will stay there for now. vcore was 1.38 to 1.41 keeps fluctuating while in FSX according to CPUID but temps were 35deg at idle and 56deg in FSX..Thanks again for you insight.

Regards,

Ok Alain will run ram at manufactures1.65v which I have it at now. Also managed to o/c cpu to 4.7 and will stay there for now. vcore was 1.38 to 1.41 keeps fluctuating while in FSX according to CPUID but temps were 35deg at idle and 56deg in FSX..Thanks again for you insight.

Regards,

Did you manually set your Vcore and is that the min at which it's stable at 4.7GHz?

Did you manually set your Vcore and is that the min at which it's stable at 4.7GHz?

No Sir I didn't set it manually I used AiTweaker from Asus and it is stable at 4.7Ghz. Maybe I should not have used AiTweaker not sure but I did run Intel Burn Test on very high and it was stable @ 4.7Ghz?? I haven't reeally done that much overclocking manually cause some of it gets really confusing (too old I guess) lol. Would doing it manually make a difference in the o/c value plus vcore voltage?? Thanks for your help

Regards,

No Sir I didn't set it manually I used AiTweaker from Asus and it is stable at 4.7Ghz. Maybe I should not have used AiTweaker not sure but I did run Intel Burn Test on very high and it was stable @ 4.7Ghz?? I haven't reeally done that much overclocking manually cause some of it gets really confusing (too old I guess) lol. Would doing it manually make a difference in the o/c value plus vcore voltage?? Thanks for your help

Regards,

Well, that's a reasonable Vcore, nothing you should worry about so it looks like AITweaker is doing a good job at setting up your rig Jim.

Obviously the lower the Vcore the better, so you could try to find the lowest Vcore for 4.7GHz, but if you're happy with it as it is with those temps & volts I really have no reason to burst your bubble cause it's looking pretty good to me

Well, that's a reasonable Vcore, nothing you should worry about so it looks like AITweaker is doing a good job at setting up your rig Jim.

Obviously the lower the Vcore the better, so you could try to find the lowest Vcore for 4.7GHz, but if you're happy with it as it is with those temps & volts I really have no reason to burst your bubble cause it's looking pretty good to me

I hate to sound stupid but do I just try to lower the vcore a little at a time in order to keep 4.7Ghz and lower temps too? I guess I need to read up on how to do that and really thank you for your help. But the last thing is why does it keep fluctuating while in FSX?

Regards,

Jim

I hate to sound stupid but do I just try to lower the vcore a little at a time in order to keep 4.7Ghz and lower temps too? I guess I need to read up on how to do that and really thank you for your help. But the last thing is why does it keep fluctuating while in FSX?

Regards,

Jim

No, you don't sound stupid at all. Or at least I hope so because not too long ago I was making similar questions in forums like this haha

Anyway, what you see there is the power management features of your system kicking in. Your board adjusts Vcore as a function of the CPU load. Since FSX varies in CPU usage all the time, your Vcore fluctuates accordingly. If you run a stress test that keeps your CPU load pegged at 100% like Prime 95, Intel Burn Test or Linx, you shoud see a much lesser Vcore variation.

You should always stress test to ensure your OC is stable, and monitor your temps with Core Temp or Real Temp while doing so (don't let them go past 80ºC)

No, you don't sound stupid at all. Or at least I hope so because not too long ago I was making similar questions in forums like this haha

Anyway, what you see there is the power management features of your system kicking in. Your board adjusts Vcore as a function of the CPU load. Since FSX varies in CPU usage all the time, your Vcore fluctuates accordingly. If you run a stress test that keeps your CPU load pegged at 100% like Prime 95, Intel Burn Test or Linx, you shoud see a much lesser Vcore variation.

You should always stress test to ensure your OC is stable, and monitor your temps with Core Temp or Real Temp while doing so (don't let them go past 80ºC)

Ok thanks dazz I'll keep trying to learn more about how to do it with this Z77 board and cpu. You've been a big help and I can relax a little since everything right now looks good to you. Thanks again my friend

Regards,

Jim

Ok thanks dazz I'll keep trying to learn more about how to do it with this Z77 board and cpu. You've been a big help and I can relax a little since everything right now looks good to you. Thanks again my friend

Regards,

Jim

No prob Jim. If you're interested in optimizing your OC just let me know and I'll guide you through the process / BIOS settings. I can't tell you the exact values since every chip is different, but I can tell you where's what and what's it for

No prob Jim. If you're interested in optimizing your OC just let me know and I'll guide you through the process / BIOS settings. I can't tell you the exact values since every chip is different, but I can tell you where's what and what's it for

Yes Sir I am interested in optimizing my overclock and would like your guidance through the process. Let know when you can. thanks

Jim

Ok, get your motherboard manual and open it page 2-19 to locate the CMOS reset jumper. That's in case something goes wrong, you can reset your BIOS to defaults.

Then the first step before OCing is to test the system at stock clocks to make sure everything is fine. Was it running ok before you attempted to OC?