Sign in to follow this  

ANA 747 Amazing Lightning strike Video Clip

You may find the small video at this site of interest - amazing footage of an ANA 747 being struck by lightning on departure. Never seen anything quite like it........http://www.etravelblackboard.com/index.asp?id=14877&nav=2NOTE: Give the video clips time to load as there is a standard speed and a slower speed clip.Hope you found this as interesting as myself (thanks to my father for tipping me off about this).Comments welcome.

Wow!I wonder what kind of damage a lightning like that could inflict on an airliner? Anyone have experience of the topic? The lightning seems to go through the hole fuselage. Leader from the clouds striking the front and the leader from ground striking the back! I guess Faradays cage is involved somehow... The current going on the outside of the airframe?Regards

Guest bmused55

Usualy there isn't much damage.But Scorch marks have been reported from time to time. The Odd lightbulb winking out too.

Hi,Normally they should be no problem because each, and I repeat each part from the most tiny piece of metal to the landing gear of the plane is linked to the mass of the plane, so that all the plane remain always at the same potential.I can tell you that it is an herculean work to do all those linking.I actually do them for the A330-A340 and that is quite a lot of connection to do. That is why there are 29 km of cable on an A340 ... :-lol Minos

"You Can't beat an original" ATingle, Saw that on another forum site, even so it still impresses me. :D 707