Sign in to follow this  
tripecac

Do Steam users have to wait or can we buy Alaska via the Marketplace?

I have the Steam version of Flight (so that I could get the Hawaii starter bundle).

I'm itching to get Alaska, but I'm worried that if I try to get it from the Microsoft Marketplace, there will be some compatibility issues.

Do users of the Steam version of Flight have to wait for the Steam download, or can we use the Microsoft Marketplace as well? Has anyone tried this?

I bought the GFWL version of Alaska for my Steam version of Flight. No problems.

Steam purchases simply give you a code to enter into Flight, which makes the download from GFWL. If you use the GFWL version of Flight, you must buy all DLC from them. If you install the Steam version, you can get DLC from GFWL or from Steam.

Great, thanks! I will give it a go...

Hmmm... The in-game Marketplace doesn't show anything new, and when I go to Play / World / Alaska, it still says "Coming Soon".

Could this be because I'm in New Zealand? It's already Thursday here, however; you'd think it would have been available yesterday.

Is there another procedure I should be taking to purchase DLC?

I tried this:

1) close Flight

2) right click on the little "Games for Windows" icon in the task bar

3) select to open the client

4) click Marketplace

5) click on the hyperlink: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/PC - this will open a page in firefox/ie/whatever

( I suppose I could have just skipped steps 1-4)

6) enter "microsoft flight" in the search box

7) click on "Alaskan Wilderness Pack" -- this will take you to this page:

http://marketplace.x...06-00014d5308d2

Is that the page from which you purchased it?

When I tried purchasing via the above (Games for Windows) page, and selected PayPal as my payment method, I ended up getting an "Unable to complete your request" error: "The reward method you chose is not authorized. Please use another reward method to request your cashback reward... Message 8017"

Hmmm... I don't understand why it's mentioning a cashback reward.

When I try paying via a credit card, it says "We can't authorize the payment method. Please make sure..."

Could this be because I'm in New Zealand?

Retrying the paypal method worked. I was able to buy the Alaska Wilderness Pack. Now downloading it and the other (free) DLC...

I got it through the regular XBox Marketplace. Probably the link you posted, but I can't get to it at work to check.

Glad you got it working, though!

I prefer Steam too, but... this is Alaska we're talking about! :)

Of course, if you are more patient than some of us, it couldn't hurt to wait until they've added new Missions and Aerocaches (only new Challenges have been added)...

...and made the map easier to use (no extreme zooming)...

...and added air traffic...

...and animals...

Of course, by the time they add back all the FSX features we're used to, it probably won't be called Microsoft Flight anymore... It'll probably be called "Microsoft Fly" or just "Microsoft F" or just "MF".

hmmm.....things have changed since earlier today. Now I also get the option within the xbox marketplace for paying through Paypal...but I also get the "Unable to complete your request" error: "The reward method you chose is not authorized. Please use another reward method to request your cashback reward... Message 8017" error, over and over.

hmmm.....things have changed since earlier today. Now I also get the option within the xbox marketplace for paying through Paypal...but I also get the "Unable to complete your request" error: "The reward method you chose is not authorized. Please use another reward method to request your cashback reward... Message 8017" error, over and over.

Sent you a PM.