Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reason

i5 2500K idle temp with prime95 + Core Temp 1.0

Hi

I just got my new i52500K, my motherboard doesnt support overclocking as I was on a tight budget, will do in future investment though.

At stock clockspeed, using Prime95 and Core Temp 1.0, the idle temp is ranging from 36-42C. During load, the max is 72. Is it too hot? My previous AMD setup was running 29-31C idle and 55-59C load. is it normal? I live in a 2 season country, the ambient varies from 27-33C. I have checked how I mounted the Processor, nothing is wrong I guess. Im using stock cooler as I haven't overclocked it. Also, sometimes the temp readings on Core Temp jumps to 98C (it has flashing yellow alert) but only occurs less than 2 seconds then back to 62-68 on Load. I heard that this is a Core Temp bug, still I am worried.

Need inputs, thank you in advance

Cheers

The stock intel cooler sucks and if your ambient temps are high then it's normal.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money there are a few nice aftermarket air coolers that would blow the stock HSF out of the water but not break the bank. For example Newegg recently had the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ on sale for $19.99.

Hi

Thanks. 72 when load is just too hot although it is widely accepted that 72.6 should be fine but im planning to use this cpu for many years ahead. many people overclock their i5 25K but have lower temp than I do.

Thanks