Sign in to follow this  
roygilson

No second monitor

Hi folks,

I don't have a second monitor but, I do have a laptop. Would it be possible with the proper cables connected to my desktop allow me to to move Gmap to my laptop?

Thanks

Roy NH

Not yet, Roy..It's coming...

But does your laptop have a graphics port, as most do nowadays? If so, you can stick a second monitor into it and Windows will use that as its second monitor..voila!

Sorry, Roy, I just re-read your post..you want to use your laptop AS a second monitor NOT use your laptop to run FLIGHT...Although, if it's good enough, you could always uase FLIGHT on that with two monitors..

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Thanks for your input Jake. I'm lucky enough to have a high end desktop, I just don't have room for another monitor.

Roy

I use sectional charts of alaska on my second computer. I think it is more challenging and fun to identify your position without a moving map :-)

I use sectional charts of alaska on my second computer. I think it is more challenging and fun to identify your position without a moving map :-)

It sure is, but without a second computer or a second screen, it's not very practical. GMap works fine for me as a moving map, but the window is too small (imho) to navigate only using sectional charts. I would need at least the size of a 22" monitor (well, maybe a big laptop would do) to see enough detail and still see enough of the surrounding to figure out where I am. I think... My next fly I will use GMap but disconnected from Flight to find out if I can navigate with that alone. Or I might alt-tab to Plan-G (similar map like GMap) or Skyvector (real sectionals).

Then again... nowadays it's pretty normal and not 'cheating' to carry a little GPS device with you during a flight... I am not simulating flights from the thirties or anything. :wink:

There is a program called Maxivista that seems to do this. It uses your laptop as an extension of your main display. It looks like there is a free trail version so you can try it. If you have a macbook there is also a simple program to make this work, Air Display (there is also an iOS and I think an Android version of this). It also has a free trial version, and I can confirm that it works with GMap while running Flight in pseudo-fullscreen mode. You just have to be connected to the same network, wireless or ethernet.