Sign in to follow this  
N646AWAirbus

Odd issue with FS9, need help before going to the extreme

I've just finished re-installing FS9 in hopes my problem would go away, but it still exists.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate, 32bit and, was, FS9 on the SONY VAIO.

My problem, default airplane or not, is once I load FS9 up for a trip, I am having issues switching between views like 2D, VC, tower etc...If I were to hit the 'W' key to switch from 2D to the six pack, the top of the panel shaves off a bit, the glare shield usually. If I were to rotate to a six pack view, and then switch to a different airplane, I can rotate through the various views mentioned above just fine, like normal. If I were to go back to the 2D, six-pack mode and cycle through to the 2D panel again, the problem arises again. If I try to go to the outside view from the get go from 2D, I know it's on the outside view because I can hear the change in noises, but the 2D panel still shows. If I switch back inside, the 2D panel remains, but all is frozen, gauge wise...ie if I push the throttle in, it's not resembled in the 2D throttle being pushed in or a change in RPM. Seems the views have a mind of their own. The relation of sound to view isn't matching, like inside view, but you hear outside or outside view, but you hear inside.

It's all a bit difficult to describe and I've not ever once seen this problem before in all my years if FSing.

Any suggestions and help greatly appreciated...trying to avoid resetting and re-installing everything and making this a new computer again...argh! lol

On a semi-related issue, because I don't if it is or isn't, but I now get texture flickering. I didn't notice if before un-install when the above issue began happening, but it does it now since re-install. Even the text at the bottom left about your brakes being set flickers, but only when zoomed in on the A/C from the outside view or when in VC mode only if the propeller is spinning. (In this case, the default C182.) Also flickering on the outside when zoomed in, A/C shadow, lens cover for landing/taxi light and windshield.Flickering outside not related to the engine running or not.

Again, I would love ANY help and ideas before having to re-install Windows and going from scratch! lol

The symptoms you're describing make me wonder if maybe your video driver hasn't somehow been corrupted, or if possibly you've installed something else since the last time you ran FS9 which could be interfering with your video settings somehow. That's really just a wild guess, of course. I've never heard of a problem quite like you're describing.

I agree. I did, after un-install of FS9, update all the hardware side of the VAIO. Oddly enough, I've discovered that all is well and works normally when FS9 is in full screen mode, which isn't how I've operated FS over the years... I like having the windows bar at bottom for easy access to online charts, vRoute, etc for VATSIM flying. Soon as I hit ALT + ENTER to get out of full screen, I have the issue. I put it back in full screen, issue gone. I'll investigate the video side and see what happens, turns up, blows up...who knows! haha. Thanks...any other thoughts or suggestions from the group? :D

I used to have FS9 running on a Sony Vaio for testing purposes. However, I used Windows 7 (less demanding on memory resources) and not Vista and I never, ever updated any drivers. I worked on the basis of "If it ain't broke ...."

You say that you have updated "all the hardware side". Hm .... If FS9 worked OK for you before then logic says that it may well be something you have "updated" after reinstalling Vista in which case I would re-do absolutely everything and not update any drivers.

David