Sign in to follow this  
sanjav

Baron 58 for Trans-Tasman flying? (For real pilots...)

Looking to introduce some authenticity into my virtual flying, so I'm just wondering something: my plane of choice for the moment is the Baron 58, but would a real pilot consider flying such a plane from Australia's east coast to New Zealand? And if so, at what altitude? And would the flight plan feature a high-altitude airways or low-altitude airways route?

With the right payload and favourable wind conditions, the plane could cope with the 1,100nm range, but the overwhelming majority of the flight would be over water. Are little twin-props like the Baron flown over oceans in the real world? And if so, are such flights common??

Thanks

I would have considered it over the warm Carribean for relatively short stretches between islands and also did it over the cold waters for short stretches but personally would not do that distance . Are you considering ifr reserves in that range? I had a B55 not a B58 but in about 5 hours you would be dry-add an ifr reserve and you were talking 500nm legs.

It has been done before...

http://galonghaulnew...ron-zk-wlv.html

Regards,

Chris

Cool! At what altitude did you do it? And would you hesitate doing it again?

I would have considered it over the warm Carribean for relatively short stretches between islands and also did it over the cold waters for short stretches but personally would not do that distance . Are you considering ifr reserves in that range? I had a B55 not a B58 but in about 5 hours you would be dry-add an ifr reserve and you were talking 500nm legs.

I've cheated a *little bit*, by making the engines more fuel efficient than the normally are. Fuel is still a concern, but with a full paload, the plane can now go about 1500nm before running dry (at full throttle). So, with that in mind, if you theoretically had a Baron like that, would you make the flight??

I would not but I am very conservative..

Cool! At what altitude did you do it? And would you hesitate doing it again?

It was not I who did this flight.

Christopher Bell.