Sign in to follow this  
qwseyvnd

The gigaflops and the computer

I have two laptop, the oldest is Gateway P-7811FX, the newest is ASUS N73JN. You will find the exact specification in the internet.

In the 3D graphics, the oldest should has around 288 gFlops, the newest has 233 gFlops; but in the X-plane, the first shows 22-24 FPS, the last shows 50 FPS, therefore the oldest should has around 61 FPS.

But I checked the comparison of the nVidia graphics cards in the Wiki. According of this article, it is written that 9800m GTS has 51.6 GB/s memory bandwidth and GT 335M has 25.6 GB/s, so I think that it is the answer.

Hello,

There are so many more factors in how many frames-per-second a specific game can render than raw gflops which is why it's rarely mentioned. As you noticed, memory bandwidth is very important in many games. Also, the version of OpenGL or DirectX the card supports will be very important. Games don't render the same and each will take advantage of certain graphics API tricks. Some use a lot of texture tricks and render very few polygons (MMOs like World of Warcraft and others from Asia are very big into this) while others are purely polygon pushers while others still do a lot of shading tricks.

It's definitely interesting to look into, though!