Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

New With a Question

Guest BeaverDriver

Good Day,

I'm currently "training" on the PMDG 737NGX series of aircraft. FS2C has been highly recommended by a number of people on the PMDG forums. I'm always a little reluctant to "upset the apple cart" when it comes to new programs as I'm looking for as fluid a sim as possible so am cautious about adding new programs that might slow things down. So, can you please tell me if FS2C automatically starts with each session of FS (with the applicable aircraft), or can you choose to run it optionally? Also, are there any differences in performance between the voice and the button versions of the program in terms of functionality and performance cost?

Thanks very much for your help :).

Glenn

Hello Glenn. Personally, I no longer fly without FS2. It adds an incredible amount of realism and does not affect frame rate in any way, shape our form. Some will choose the button version, some, me included, use the voice. The difference is a personal choice. So you like to press buttons and/or keyboard keys? Or do you fancy actually speaking and responding to your first officer? I use every FS2 voice version made and can tell you that once you try it, you'll wonder where it's been all your life. There is a slight learning curve, as with any new program, but the manuals are great and informative and come with tutorial flights. On top of that, the customer service is first class. I seriously recommend giving it a go. You won't regret it. Lastly, a little known fact. The PMDG NGX was created specifically to work along with FS2 Crew. Not the other way around. The voice version for the NGX is, in a simple word, AMAZING!!

Guest BeaverDriver

Thank you Eric, this is extremely helpful. Really appreciate the feedback. I believe you about the customer service (I do my research -_- and that is one of the things that has pushed me in the direction of getting it. Bryan seems fast and courteous about replying. I'm not worried about the learning curve - "learning" is a hobby of mine (just ask poor Steve doing the repainting for PMDG <LOL>). I gather you'd have to buy a headset with mic to use the voice version then? That's not a hindrance, but I'd have to get a new one as my old one is getting pretty intermittent now.

Thanks again Eric :). Oh, by the by, looking at your Avatar, maybe we need to work on our crosswind landings just a touch :blink: ? <LOL> Just kidding you of course. I think I've seen that video. Some days things just don't go the way you'd like :rolleyes: .

Glenn

Yeah, I'm thinking that particular pilot didn't get his "gold star" that day. Incidentally, forgot to mention. The NGX version ships with both the button and voice version as one package. So you can try both and decide which one you enjoy the most. As for the headset, yeah, a USB headset would be best. I use a Turtle Beach set and its worked great. Also, if you find you enjoy the realism of the voice version you may consider purchasing both Radar Contact V4 and Multicrew Experience. Together they give you the ability to actually talk to and respond to Air Traffic Control with RW phrasing and call signs. It's become so real now I have to turn on a fan so I can feel the wind in my hair. Lol! Happy flying and keep the blue side up. (Unless it's intentional)

Guest BeaverDriver

Yeah, I have RC now. Now, one thing I'd still like to know though, is if it's still possible to fly without it? Let's say you're just doing a training flight and don't want to have more to contend with than just the airplane. Do you start FS2C separately or does it start automatically?

That's great info - thanks again.

By the way, maybe we'll keep the fan thing just between us, ok? (psst - what model fan do you find works best?? :lol: )

Absolutely. Once the NGX it's loaded you have to physically click the analog altimeter area to 'activate' FS2. If you don't click it you can fly the A/C normally.

Oh, to answer your fan question. It's as old model developed by Sikorsky. HUGE blades ;)

Guest BeaverDriver

<ROTFLMAO>!! Yeah, that would do it (for a "fan"). Thanks Eric, appreciate the help (and the chuckle!).